My top 10 sitcoms/comedies of the decade Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ January 8 2010, 7:24 PM GMT

:O :O :O Probably true.

Considering there's only been 5 decades of sitcoms, coming fifth isn't so bad. Although I think it was only a bad decade in terms of populist mainstream comedy.

Quote: chipolata @ January 8 2010, 10:57 PM GMT

Considering there's only been 5 decades of sitcoms, coming fifth isn't so bad. Although I think it was only a bad decade in terms of populist mainstream comedy.

Were there more great sitcoms in, say, the eighties?? I'd take the last decade over that one, I think, for my personal taste in funny. I think. Without actually making a little list of eithies sitcoms.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 9 2010, 12:20 AM GMT

Were there more great sitcoms in, say, the eighties??

Two words, three syllables; Duty Free.

Quote: IT David @ January 9 2010, 12:29 AM GMT

Two words, three syllables

Never heard of that one.

Couldn't resist.

The Office
Flight of the Conchords
Peep Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Outnumbered
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Extras
Phoenix Nights
Lead Balloon
Not Going Out

Michael Jacob probably knows when the first sitcom was. Didn't he research them for the College of Comedy.

:D

Quote: Griff @ January 9 2010, 10:14 AM GMT

Nah, the Eighties was the worst by miles.

Its nearest competitor for sure but I find it difficult to condemn it as the worst when it spawned the top 2 Best Sitcoms (BBC's famous poll) - Only Fools and Horses & Black Adder + Red Dwarf as well.

No-one's mentioned The Mighty Boosh - quite incredible. The first series was long, rich and inventive - though admittedly it had been strained through stage and radio first.

Was Michael Jacobs behind any of the sitcoms mentioned in this poll?

Grind!

Quote: Alan C @ January 9 2010, 12:20 PM GMT

Its nearest competitor for sure but I find it difficult to condemn it as the worst when it spawned the top 2 Best Sitcoms (BBC's famous poll) - Only Fools and Horses & Black Adder + Red Dwarf as well.

That is only two though, from a decade. I'd add Blackadder, but not a whole lot else. I've never really enjoyed The Young Ones all that much when I've seen it; even though I love Bottom. The TV show and the meat humps located at the top of your legs.

1. Peep Show
2. The Thick Of It
3. The Office (UK)
4. Curb Your Enthusiasm
5. 30 Rock
6. The Office (US)
7. Pulling
8. Nathan Barley
9. Psychoville
10. Black Books

Runners up - Marion and Geoff, Worst Week of My Life, Moving Wallpaper, Ed Reardon's Week, Bleak Expectations, Extras, Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, Max and Paddy, Early Doors... it's been a good decade.

Do you not like Arrested Development, Griff?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 30 2009, 5:19 PM GMT

I'll quickly pick five off the top of my head, and I'm only going for shows that actually started this deacde. (So no Spaced)

Arrested Development
30 Rock
Black Books
Peep Show
Darkplace

Add a few more:

The Office (U.S.)
The Office (U.K.) Did that start in the nineties . . ?
The IT Crowd.
The Mighty Boosh.
Psychoville.
Phoenix Nights.

Well there's been seven decades if you count radio. I've been trying to figure out what the first ever sitcom was. Earliest one I can find which fits the current definition (recurring characters/situation, not a serial, 30 minute episodes) is the Marx Brothers Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel (1932). Any earlier examples welcomed.

"The situation comedy format was born on January 12, 1926 with the initial broadcast of Sam 'n' Henry on WGN in Chicago. The 15-minute daily program was revamped in 1928, moved to another station, renamed Amos 'n' Andy, and became one of the most successful sitcoms from this period."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situation_comedy#History

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

I'm Alan Partridge
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Peep Show
The IT Crowd
Black Books
The Office
The Inbetweeners
South Park
Family Guy

Doesn't your list contain Pyschoville, Griff? Isn't that more serial comedy than sitcom?