Mock without Frankie Page 5

Wow, they woke the writers up this week.

Quote: Gelgoog @ January 30 2010, 7:01 PM GMT

I agree. Really, all he did for the last several series is string togethor famous names and offensive things. The point of satire is that it needs to make a clever, clear point about the topic being discussed.

Quote: Aaron @ January 29 2010, 8:59 PM GMT

Frankie is/was terrible for satire. Which, presumably, is what Mock The Week is meant to be about, or at least focussed around. He does anger very well, but nothing particularly clever or insightful.

From an old mock watched on Dave two days ago:

Round: If this is the answer what is the question - 35,000 tonnes.
Frankie: Was it Tony Blair's callous answer to the question 'how many Iraqi civillian deaths are you responsible for?'

I know I've already addressed these points but it's an example of Frankie being funny, topical and satirical all at once.

Is it me or does Russell do a LOT of "that's like" gags?

Tony Blair telling the truth....that's like Gary Glitter dating women his own age. (Not one of his...but you get the idea!)

He uses ASBO like an adjective a lot as well.

I've given up now. Boring.

I liked this week's episode.

Stewart Francis was brilliant, as always.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 4 2010, 11:04 PM GMT

What makes you say that about this particular week?

I thought that this week's was below-par.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 4 2010, 11:04 PM GMT

From an old mock watched on Dave two days ago:

Round: If this is the answer what is the question - 35,000 tonnes.
Frankie: Was it Tony Blair's callous answer to the question 'how many Iraqi civillian deaths are you responsible for?'

I know I've already addressed these points but it's an example of Frankie being funny, topical and satirical all at once.

Not really. In your obsession to vindicate him, you're forgetting the idea of personal preference. You find that joke funny, so great. However, it didn't even make me smile. So I'll stick to my opinion, thank you.

Quote: Yatta @ February 5 2010, 8:58 AM GMT

Yeah, his one-liners were brilliant. 'Start the car!'

I do miss Frankie, but I think his absence gave the others a chance to get a word in.

It was probablly time for him to go and I'm looking forward to his next appearance on our TV.

Quote: Nil Putters @ February 4 2010, 9:20 PM GMT

Andi Osho fell into the all to predictable trap of talking about Nigerian parents and how strict they are. Was

I thought she was quite good actually. The stories were a bit long, but they were funny and her impressions were good.

Quote: Gelgoog @ February 7 2010, 11:30 AM GMT

Not really. In your obsession to vindicate him, you're forgetting the idea of personal preference. You find that joke funny, so great. However, it didn't even make me smile. So I'll stick to my opinion, thank you.

I think it's the way I tell 'em. That joke got a massive laugh. Had you been there you would have smiled while everyone around you laughed uproariously, I assure you.
You don't have to thank me.

Quote: AngieBaby @ February 9 2010, 10:28 PM GMT

I thought she was quite good actually.

She was good, I just didn't think she needed to do that. Lazy imo.

It seems that the TNT Show was not an aberration in the careers of Jack Whitehall and Holly Walsh, they really are that bad. That was a dire episode.

Quote: Yatta @ February 5 2010, 8:58 AM GMT

I agree. Think I'll make him my favourite one liner man comedy guy.

Quote: Timbo @ February 11 2010, 11:10 PM GMT

It seems that the TNT Show was not an aberration in the careers of Jack Whitehall and Holly Walsh, they really are that bad. That was a dire episode.

Not the best of episodes I'd agree, although I don't think it was necessarily anyone's fault - the topics of discussion weren't exactly the strongest.

What I still can't work out though is why only three of them went up for the stand-up round this week. OK, Hugh doesn't do stand-up, fair enough, but that still leaves Holly & Russell sitting out?!?

I'm pretty sure there was only three doing the stand up bit a few weeks ago as well. Rather odd.