Mock without Frankie Page 4

Quote: Gelgoog @ January 29 2010, 12:23 AM GMT

I'd disagree. With Frankie, it was more 'Randomly shout a rant about pedos and Kerry Katona, sit back and grin as if my smug smile could cure cancer'.

You haven't really captured the man or the comedy there, Gelgoog. Frankie Boyle does a lot of celeb baiting, but he does a lot of state of nation stuff - much more than any of the other 'mockers'. Listening to Andy Parsons yesterday it crossed my mind that he might actually vote Tory.

Quote: LynxMale @ January 29 2010, 10:25 AM GMT

And you lot do know that Frankie writes some of Jimmy Carr's material?

And . . ?

Well, they must be doing something right. Last night's episode was great, even Mr Parsons was on top form, for example:

(Things you wouldn't hear at an award ceremony)

[Holding envelope] "And the award for strongest glue goes to...." [is unable to open it] Laughing out loud

John Bishop was good too, am quite warming to his stand up. He's one of my new personal favourites I think. Sarah Millican wasn't bad either.

Quote: Mark @ December 24 2009, 12:29 PM GMT

The Sun has got its facts wrong.

Shock horror etc.

Quote: Aaron @ January 29 2010, 6:34 PM GMT

Shock horror etc.

Unlike your good selves

Stephen Fry quits Twitter: http://bit.ly/8WsTiw (again)
5:29 PM Jan 25th from web
Reply Retweet

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 26 2010, 1:27 AM GMT

Frankie Boyle actually provided the show's critical edge. The show is something else without him - more 'gently tease the week' than mock the week. I love Hugh and Andy and Russell but you can't make the show without Frankie. You need his grit and anger.

Frankie is/was terrible for satire. Which, presumably, is what Mock The Week is meant to be about, or at least focussed around. He does anger very well, but nothing particularly clever or insightful.

Quote: KJSmyling @ January 29 2010, 8:29 PM GMT

Unlike your good selves

Yes, I had a go at Mark about that. Unimpressed

I agree. Really, all he did for the last several series is string togethor famous names and offensive things. The point of satire is that it needs to make a clever, clear point about the topic being discussed. What Frankie was doing wasn't really any different from kids in the playground who think saying taboo things makes them edgy or cool. I'm not saying he has no business being a comedian but the format hardly tested him or anyone else. The average audience for Mock The Week do tend to whoop and cheer at anything.

Quote: Aaron @ January 29 2010, 8:59 PM GMT

Frankie is/was terrible for satire. Which, presumably, is what Mock The Week is meant to be about, or at least focussed around. He does anger very well, but nothing particularly clever or insightful.

I didn't use the word satire. He's not a satirist. But most of his stuff is political in the true sense (not party political). I said 'state of the Nation' and 'critical' because it's clear that he thinks that the country is a shithole and he isn't slow in apportioning blame.

It's not surprising that you don't have much affinity with his humour as you have little in common politically.

Quote: Gelgoog @ January 30 2010, 7:01 PM GMT

I agree. Really, all he did for the last several series is string togethor famous names and offensive things. The point of satire is that it needs to make a clever, clear point about the topic being discussed. What Frankie was doing wasn't really any different from kids in the playground who think saying taboo things makes them edgy or cool. I'm not saying he has no business being a comedian but the format hardly tested him or anyone else. The average audience for Mock The Week do tend to whoop and cheer at anything.

None of your points is true.

Quote: LynxMale @ January 29 2010, 10:25 AM GMT

And you lot do know that Frankie writes some of Jimmy Carr's material?

And Frankie Boyle has at least two writers that I know of.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 30 2010, 7:44 PM GMT

I didn't use the word satire. He's not a satirist. But most of his stuff is political in the true sense (not party political). I said 'state of the Nation' and 'critical' because it's clear that he thinks that the country is a shithole and he isn't slow in apportioning blame.

It's not surprising that you don't have much affinity with his humour as you have little in common politically.

He's very funny.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 30 2010, 8:21 PM GMT

And Frankie Boyle has at least two writers that I know of.

Yes I won't mention names but one of them actually posts on these boards every now and again.

Not sure if this is the current Mock The Week thread, but I couldn't find anything after series 7.

Anyway, I'm enjoying Stewart Francis tonight. Love his jokes, but not sure it suits the show.

Andi Osho fell into the all to predictable trap of talking about Nigerian parents and how strict they are. Was Gina Yashere not available?

Ha, that was a bit unfortunate.
But she was funny overall, so you lot can take a break from your traditional weekly woman-on-Mock-The-Week bashing for once. :)

:P I thought her Cheryl Cole impression was good, pity about the punchline. Last week's "woman-on-Mock-The-Week" was quite good actually. Sarah something?

Don't think I actually saw last week's... :)

Millican probably.