Mock without Frankie Page 3

I suppose when I said most comedy fans are used to comics telling stories I was specifically referring to myself. Hearing gags being fired out for ninety minutes is pretty boring. Even more traditional comics like Mike Ried and Jim Davidson would put their punchlines into stories (even if they were a bit contrived). BTW I am not saying they are better than Frankie just that it was a bit easier to concentrate.

I can't help but think that Mock The Week's going to be a little bit dull without Frankie anymore, but I have to agree that Ed Byrne should be brought on perminantly to take his place.

Milton Jones made it a bit different. How does he get away with just stringing together gags? But he does.

(Even though he'd already used the snowman joke not very long ago.)

Can I say what a delight it was to have an episode of Mock The Week that didn't turn into the Frankie-Boyle-cuts-across-everyone-again show.

Although I did chuckle at Patrick Kielty's stand-up bit, so perhaps my judgement was a bit warped.

Milton Jones was ace though!

Milton's snowman gag is pure genius.

Quote: ACUSmember @ January 23 2010, 11:45 PM GMT

Can I say what a delight it was to have an episode of Mock The Week that didn't turn into the Frankie-Boyle-cuts-across-everyone-again show.

Seconded.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ December 27 2009, 2:52 PM GMT

I enjoy Tim Vine's comedy very much but I'm sure I (and many others on BCG) could write a set to equal any of his. Tim's success is based much more upon his personality than his material.

How many people, though, could write a set to equal Jimmy Carr's or Frankie Boyle's?

Not many.

While, even as a massive Tim Vine fan, I'll agree that not all of his gags are brilliant and he does get away with some quite poor material (as well as some that's absolute genius) I don't think it's as easy to write as you make out.

I didn't laugh as much as usual but the show seemed more laid-back and everyone got a fair crack at each round. Milton Jones was utterly surreal, but quite entertaining. Very good.

Although Milton Jones didn't really say anything at all during the sit-down segments, he totally stole the show in the stand-up rounds. His very final contribution (the spaced out grinning politician) caught me totally by surprise and was probably the thing I've laughed at most all month.

Stewart Francis is back on in a couple of week's time. I love his stand-up routines too so looking forward to that.

Frankie Boyle actually provided the show's critical edge. The show is something else without him - more 'gently tease the week' than mock the week. I love Hugh and Andy and Russell but you can't make the show without Frankie. You need his grit and anger.

Quote: Mark @ January 26 2010, 1:13 AM GMT

Stewart Francis is back on in a couple of week's time. I love his stand-up routines too so looking forward to that.

Stewart Francis is the greatest thing to come out of Canada... Cool

Quote: Joey Moose @ January 26 2010, 1:29 PM GMT

Stewart Francis is the greatest thing to come out of Canada... Cool

Shatner.

OK Dara's 'errrrrr' is getting worse. Grating now!!!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 26 2010, 1:27 AM GMT

Frankie Boyle actually provided the show's critical edge. The show is something else without him - more 'gently tease the week' than mock the week. I love Hugh and Andy and Russell but you can't make the show without Frankie. You need his grit and anger.

I'd disagree. With Frankie, it was more 'Randomly shout a rant about pedos and Kerry Katona, sit back and grin as if my smug smile could cure cancer'.

It's called Mock The Week and it needs somebody prepared to be scandalously rude about celebrities, as well as someone on each team capable of political satire.

Ed Byrne would be a better choice than Kielty for a semi-regular slot. Russell Howard was a less logical choice, his humour based on childhood rather than satire.

And you lot do know that Frankie writes some of Jimmy Carr's material?