Mock without Frankie Page 2

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 22 2009, 9:37 PM GMT

I think My Shit Life So Far from both a highly popular and critically acclaimed millionaire comedian who appears to be happily married with children either signals him caricaturing himself or shows he is seriously out of touch with the rest of the world.

I chuckled at this for the truth that it contains but then, honestly, as much as I like my cynical comedians, it would simply be sad if their lives even post-success were as miserable as a gutter rat's.

As for MtW sans Boyle, I don't know. The thing is, I only really like Boyle in the context of MtW. Outside it he just seems like a very bitter person poking fun at how sad trashy celebs are - not too original. Without him something will be missing but as long as they've got nation's finest stand ups as guests, I doubt I'll be too disappointed.

So when I found out, I thought, "Good riddance - make Ed Byrne a regular, please!".

Quote: sanniberry @ December 26 2009, 11:08 PM GMT

I only really like Boyle in the context of MtW. Outside it he just seems like a very bitter person poking fun at how sad trashy celebs are - not too original.

Got to disagree with you on that point sanni, FB doesn't just diss celebrities, everyone's fair game.

Personally I think Frankie Boyle is great, and I think MTW will be boring without him.

Having said that I think he did intimidate other guests on the show, but that was only due to the fact that he is sharper, and more wicked* than other comedians on the scene.

*wicked in the evil sense.

I got his live DVD for Christmas and sadly he does appear to be a bit of a one trick pony. He excels at the dark one liners but for a ninety minute peformance this gets pretty tiresome especially when most comedy fans are now used to comedians telling stories as opposed to just firing out gags.

I doubt if I'll keep up with it anymore, to be honest. He was by far the funniest one on it, and was the main reason I took to watching it late in the day, as I cannot stand that Who's Line Is It Anyway type stand up bit. Sit down please.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 27 2009, 1:47 AM GMT

I got his live DVD for Christmas and sadly he does appear to be a bit of a one trick pony. He excels at the dark one liners but for a ninety minute peformance this gets pretty tiresome especially when most comedy fans are now used to comedians telling stories as opposed to just firing out gags.

Angie, based on what I've seen I'd have to agree with ^ this poster once again, though it's true he doesn't just go for celebs. I prefer stories and longer set-ups to one-liners. His stuff works so well in the context of Mock the Week which is why I think he's mad to quit it but then, the gigs probably pay better so it's understandable.

most comedy fans are now used to comedians telling stories as opposed to just firing out gags.

According to the DVD comedy charts, "most" comedy fans think that Michael McIntyre is best.

And Jimmy Carr must be quite high up there too! He just fires out gags.

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

He's at #7, higher than story guys like Rob Brydon and Jason Manford. Getting beat by McIntyre, Rhod Gilbert and Russell Howard.

(that's Amazon)

And woor Frankie is at #17, despite the fact that it's his 2008 standup DVD.

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

I don't know how anyone can stand a whole show of his, it's so cold. At least with a gagsmith like Tim Vine, he has warmth and the ability to actually perform; what the hell has Carr got?!

A lovely big round face.

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2009, 2:46 PM GMT

A lovely big round face.

Probably quite comfy to sit on, I would imagine.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 27 2009, 2:45 PM GMT

what the hell has Carr got?!

One of the most brilliant comedy minds in the world?

I enjoy Tim Vine's comedy very much but I'm sure I (and many others on BCG) could write a set to equal any of his. Tim's success is based much more upon his personality than his material.

How many people, though, could write a set to equal Jimmy Carr's or Frankie Boyle's?

Not many.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ December 27 2009, 2:52 PM GMT

One of the most brilliant comedy minds in the world?

And a very cold, dull style of performance. That's what I was talking about. I wouldn't want to sit and watch him for a full hours show, and I find him funny in short bursts. I did try once and I just got a bit bored after initially laughing. I wouldn't say he had one of the most brilliant comedy minds in the world either, but he does have the ability to write lots of very good gags.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ December 27 2009, 2:52 PM GMT

How many people, though, could write a set to equal Jimmy Carr's or Frankie Boyle's?

Loads. But obviously that just comes down to personal preference.

Yeah, Tim has charisma. I think Jimmy's sets have a few hundred jokes in each, which is a hell of a lot when you think about it. Assuming he discards hundreds more that don't work, that's quite a workload.

Yeah, that DVD is a bit bleak. I think he's going to try and position himself as a bit more mainstream now though... the first sign of this was his fairly affable turn presenting Buzzcocks, and next up he will be fronting a Channel 4 show.