Mock without Frankie

Will Mock the week be the same without Frankie Boyle...? Discuss.
Although Dara is very funny and real tour de force, will he be able to to carry the whole programme on his own?
I will really miss FB and hope he gets something regular on TV.

Frankie Boyle was the special ingredient and the show's future rests on whether they can find a suitable replacement. It is similar to They Think It's All Over when Lee Hurst left when it took a couple of years till Jonathan Ross became a regular and was unlike now very funny.

While I like Frankie, I think once you've heard a few of his jokes you kind of get him and everything he says starts to sound the same. The last series of Mock The Week was so Frankie Boyle heavy that they might as well have called it The Frankie Boyle Show, and that's a shame because there are some very capable and funny comedians on Mock The Week.

Frankie is very good and will be missed but it should be nice to actually see some of the others for a change.

Mock The Week will be exactly the same without F.Boyle. Utter, mediocre, back-slapping, laddish bollocks.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 22 2009, 3:44 AM GMT

While I like Frankie, I think once you've heard a few of his jokes you kind of get him and everything he says starts to sound the same. The last series of Mock The Week was so Frankie Boyle heavy that they might as well have called it The Frankie Boyle Show, and that's a shame because there are some very capable and funny comedians on Mock The Week.

Frankie is very good and will be missed but it should be nice to actually see some of the others for a change.

You mean the previous series. FB dominated far less in the last series. He didn't do any standup at all - and didn't even appear in the final episode as he was 'sick'.

As to what the show would be like without him - I think the last series with a reduced input from him will give you an idea. It was the worst series of the show to date. The next series will likely be even worse.

I have far less time now for Frankie Boyle since the totally unnecessarily crassly titled book 'My Shit Life So Far'

C'mon, at least try and avoid using a swear word to get a laugh.

This Tuesday's (Dec 22nd) episode was advertised as Frankie's last show, but it's just a load of best of clips. Angry

Wot a swiz!

I think My Shit Life So Far from both a highly popular and critically acclaimed millionaire comedian who appears to be happily married with children either signals him caricaturing himself or shows he is seriously out of touch with the rest of the world.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 22 2009, 8:40 AM GMT

Mock The Week will be exactly the same without F.Boyle. Utter, mediocre, back-slapping, laddish bollocks.

I think that's slightly unfair. Hugh Dennis usually sits there quietly before coming out with some clever & funny lines (especially the bits where he re-dubs video clips of politicians / the royal family). Dara is okay, Russell & Andy are hit and miss at times, but Frankie was definitely keen to get all the laughs, in any way possible. Perhaps Frankie was the reason that the show was often described as being a "bear pit"? Watching the Christmas special tonight, there was plenty of "proper humour" during the "Things you wouldn't hear at Christmas" round, which was recorded during the show which Frankie was absent from and it all seemed good enough.

Frankie came across as more human and was definitely funnier as host of Never Mind the Buzzcocks though.

Quote: Joey Moose @ December 23 2009, 12:43 AM GMT

(especially the bits where he re-dubs video clips of politicians / the royal family).

I'd be quite happy if they dropped that segment entirely. I always get the feeling that its continued existence must be some kind of contractual issue.

I just read in the Sun newspaper that Irish comedian Patrick Kelty is taking over from Frankie Boyle on the next series.

MTW without Frankie will be but a pale shadow of its former self.

It was the same when the BBC booted Angus Deayton from HIGNFY.

BBC TV and radio were both much the poorer during Jonathan's enforced absence and the BBC will suffer further viewer/listener losses after losing Russell Brand.

By 2020, the BBC will be showing 24/7 repeats of the Billy Cotton Band Show, there will be no viewers and we'll each be paying £500 per annum for the pleasure of not watching it.

Quote: Richard Wells @ December 24 2009, 8:15 AM GMT

I just read in the Sun newspaper that Irish comedian Patrick Kelty is taking over from Frankie Boyle on the next series.

That's not correct. The Sun has got its facts wrong. Frankie is being replaced by a series of guests. See our news story for all the details:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000224/

Oh well, you know how shit the Sun is lol.