The Fattest Man In Britain Page 2

It was LOL as the kids say. It is just the currenty obsession with non sutble comedy means someone has to write a joke that has been done millions of times before before anyone feels it is worthy of a laugh.

I suppose it was slightly lazy ignoring the boyfriend but it doesn't matter as my point is that this is way above anything else that has been written all year. Like the Royle Family there were so many subtle naunces that most viewers would not pick up on but nontheless the writers had gone to the trouble of including them and so this puts it far any Sunday night comedy drama. In reality these geniuses have taken a twee story and turned into to high art.

I was dissapointed about how slim he was.

(No idea if it was any good, I only saw about a minute.)

Quote: Chappers @ December 21 2009, 12:20 AM GMT

I know about the real bloke.

Is it the guy who had the home-made hair called 'Jack's creation'?

I found a link to it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3gJyi-qTo

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 21 2009, 1:09 PM GMT

It was LOL as the kids say. It is just the currenty obsession with non sutble comedy means someone has to write a joke that has been done millions of times before before anyone feels it is worthy of a laugh

I would agree that there were certainly LOL moments.

I also tought it was a very clever piece that didn't laugh at the fat bloke as such, just the situation.

I do feel sorry for Big Brian though, his real name is Barry.

I thought it was excellent. Very well performed and written. You can notice The Royle Family esc sequences but for me it makes it even more special.

Some bits had me laughing out loud. Well done to all involved.

I actually LOL'd (?) more at these subtle jokes than anything slapstick, mainly because the surprise factor is there. You can easily miss them, I'm sure I did.

I don't think the small plot holes mattered I notice these things as I write and am used to picking out faults in my own stuff and others but this worked regardless.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 21 2009, 1:09 PM GMT

It was LOL as the kids say. It is just the currenty obsession with non sutble comedy means someone has to write a joke that has been done millions of times before before anyone feels it is worthy of a laugh.

Is non-subtle comedy like a silent fart?

I can't believe you think there isn't enough narrative comedy about. We're only just seeing the end of a decade being drowned in the stuff.

As much I did enjoy this show, it felt familiar what with Aherne's writing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not that original.

Yes the begining of the decade did feature a lot of narrative comedy but for the last three years this has not been the case and the focus seems to be on less subtle comedy most of which underestmimates the audiences intelligence.

There have been a few exceptions such as Pulling and Physchoville but these get classed as comedy drama.

I myself have been writing this type of comedy and I am not saying my wrting should have been developed however it is clear from the feedback I have had from production companies that they all want more obvious comedy and in some cases producers who have had no success whatsoever have more orless bollocked me for writing in this style.

If you look at the amount of flops in recent years it is clear the interference of producers who think the audiences are thick is stopping any writng with indeity and soul from being created.

By identity and soul I mean that people are writing what they think others want to see rather than writing in their own voice.