The Fattest Man In Britain

I haven't posted for a while as I have been put off by the growing successions of idiots who keep posting here but I feel I have to mention this show.

This is easily the best piece of comedy on television this year by a millions miles. The new thing is audience based sitcoms like Miranda but in truth Miranda and IT Crowd etc.. are shown up when compared to the genius of Caroline Ahern.

There were millions of funny moments including 'i warned God to expect a big un', people stamping on the coffin of an obese guy to get it to go in the ground and the amazing poetry of 'it felts like an angel was on the end of my fork' (you'd have to have watched it to get it's brilliance). The sequence where Timothy Spall speaks about Snickers was very royle familyesque and also an example of Aherns genius.

Hopefully this signals the comeback of good comedy.

I only saw about 10 minutes of this, but it was the 10 with the funeral. What I saw was very funny, and Bobby Ball was great, will need to watch it from the start.

Is it based on a true story?

Yes it is. Bobby Ball was brilliant despite being a bit of a prick in real life.

I know about the real bloke. I didn't realise Caroline Ahern had written it though.

Spall played a very good Mr Creosote lookalike. I didn't watch it all though. Didn't find it that rivetting.

I am sorry to say that if you didn't find it that riveting then your taste in comedy is fundametnally flawed and from now on everyone (including yourself) should take your oppinions with a pinch of salt.

Is it true Spall had to slim down for the part?

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 21 2009, 12:26 AM GMT

I am sorry to say that if you didn't find it that riveting then your taste in comedy is fundametnally flawed and from now on everyone (including yourself) should take your oppinions with a pinch of salt.

I've got a bucket of Saxa ready.

Yes Chappers we know what you use the salt for.

:(

Poor slug.

Laughing out loud + Teary + Pleased

I watched this, it was very funny. And so very familiar.

Bang goes the TV adaptation of my book.

The crane for the funeral and selling tickets were things that I used to joke about!

But Bigfella this is an example of how great writers make us ametuers have to work harder to improve. Very few people have watched Miranda and realised that she has also thought of their best jokes.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 20 2009, 11:06 PM GMT

I haven't posted for a while as I have been put off by the growing successions of idiots who keep posting here but I feel I have to mention this show.

Genius intro!

BTW Ahern co-wrote this with Jeff Pope so she can't get full credit but I'm glad you started this thread as I really enjoyed it too. It was incredibly well written and Bobby Ball was surprisingly good in it - well there wasn't a bad turn in this.

Maybe I missed it but did they say what she was doing community service for? Also they didn't really tie up the violent boyfriend storyline. He wasn't exactly scared-off. But that was minor to the quality of the show that flowed wonderfully and had a nice pay-off.

Thank you Nuts for proving I am not alone in recognising genius. I know it was co-written with Jeff Pope but isn't he mainly a drama writer? IMO the best bits were clearly written by Caroline Ahern as were quite Royle Familyesque.

I don't think they did say what crime the girl commited. The storyline with the boyfriend wasn't tied but but don't think it was relevant, it would have probably been a bit cheesy if you'd have seen him going to prison or anything.

Still, bit lazy just ignoring the "boyfriend". He was the main reason she stayed with Spall's character.

Even though it has some raise a smile moments, it wasn't really LOL. But still a OK bit of comedy drama for a Sunday night, I suppose.