Which sitcoms could make great movies?

An increasing number of movies nowadays seem to be remakes or reworkings of TV shows so I guess the question is a little relevant.

I will start by saying that I think that Reginald Perrin could make a great film (or 2 great films) even now. The plots of those first 2 series are easily memorable enough to survive the crossover and as long as a movie could find a really talented cast and didn't take too many liberties then maybe it could work.

Fawlty Towers - There apparently was discussion about one in which Basil's plane to visit Manuel in Spain is hijacked, Basil is so incensed he overpowers the hijacker. When the plane is then diverted back to London, Basil hijacks the plane himself, to go to the original destination.

I think that Keeping Up Appearances would have a lot of scope. They've already had a feature-length episode, so why not an actual 'feature'?

Quote: Aaron @ October 11, 2006, 9:47 AM

I think that Keeping Up Appearances would have a lot of scope. They've already had a feature-length episode, so why not an actual 'feature'?

As an official representative of this website do you really think you should be posting messages like that?

Or is that the stick in the wasps nest to start a heated debate?

Or you could combine ideas like old films and sitcoms for example Arthur Lowe and Ray Winston in a story telling the trials and tribulations of young WW2 conscripts being held in the stockade for disobeying orders called 'Who's the f**kin' daddies army'

It could work but I think Ray Winston’s really busy.

Quote: Mark Rushton @ October 12, 2006, 3:05 PM

As an official representative of this website do you really think you should be posting messages like that?

Or is that the stick in the wasps nest to start a heated debate?

Nothing wrong with KUA. :P

KoA: The Movie. That has to be the dumbest idea since Dumb and Dumberer.

Original or the "sequel?"

The sequel (it was called Dumb and Dumberer, wasn't it?) The original is one of my guilty pleasures...

"I can't believe it! We've got no food, we've got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!"

Quote: Wheeler @ October 13, 2006, 11:11 AM

The sequel (it was called Dumb and Dumberer, wasn't it?) The original is one of my guilty pleasures...

"I can't believe it! We've got no food, we've got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!"

How can you say 'guilty'. it the greatest comedy film i've ever seen

I would like to see a Mighty Boosh film. Also an Alan Partridge film would be great, which is in the works.

I think a Green Wing film would be great! If the episodes are around an hour long, the film could be an epic in it's size and length! The Sparticus of comedy.

I'm Caroline!

I second Mighty Boosh and Green Wing!
Spaced too. Although I'd make do with just a TV special to be honest.

Rab C Nesbitt would make a superb film.

A Boosh film would be fantastic! A lot of what they do is so visual and fantastical that it could really work on the big screen. Id love to see someone like Chris Morris do a film as well, just what would he come up with?!

Actually, Chris Morris has done a short film, entitled My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117. It won the BAFTA for best short film in 2003.