Sketches that would make good sitcoms Page 3

Quote: AndreaLynne @ December 7 2009, 2:28 AM GMT

I asked my oldest and he said Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (of course! Laughing out loud )

Ugh. I always fast forward through those. Never got the joke.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ December 7 2009, 2:12 PM GMT

Jeez, sorry about that. I actually looked it up on a couple of different sites and that was how they had is spelled. I don't have the episodes for reference anymore. Apologies. :(

:D Hug

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 2:10 PM GMT

Hate to be a pedant

You can hang round my neck any time ;)

but it's Mr Cholmondley-Warner. Sorry. :(

Is it? :O It's like another Captain Mannering!

I reckon a big brother type enviroment.. with comedy actors that have to stay in character for as long as possible... not really like a reality sitcom hahaaha

I don't know if anyone emembers it, but I think the home made video skits from Alas Smith and Jones would have made a great sitcom. They did do a one off Christmas special and it was very funny indeed, only backing up my thoughts that it would have been a great and unique show-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQNhKP79j8

I agree that the Peter and John skits would have been an excellent sitcom. I also think the Jack and Neddy skits would have made for an interesting sitcom, you could even have made it into a comedy drama with some subtle changes.

As for other sketches that would have made good sitcoms, I think Unlucky Alf from The Fast Show would have been an interesting one.

I've always thought the shopkeeper Michael Palin plays in the Parrot sketch is an early prototype Basil Fawlty.

And now I think about it, the 'grovelling architect' from an early Python series is also Basil. In other words, every memorable Cleese character is basically Basil.

100% right. :)

The blokes in the caravan in BBC Four's Cowards would make a great sitcom.

Quote: samcheese @ September 18 2010, 3:51 PM BST

The blokes in the caravan in BBC Four's Cowards would make a great sitcom.

Good call!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar and Ginger from The Mitchell and Webb Look.

Might need a bit of stretching but principle is very funny.

In A Bit of Fry & Laurie they did a couple of sketches where Hugh plays a sort of undercover spy James Bond type character called Alan, and Fry plays his boss, a sort of 'M' character. Could have been a good sitcom.

Morwenna Banks would have been his female sidekick and love interest. A bit like Johnny English - except 'good' and not 'shit'.

Quote: lofthouse @ July 10 2011, 9:08 PM BST

In A Bit of Fry & Laurie they did a couple of sketches where Hugh plays a sort of undercover spy James Bond type character called Alan, and Fry plays his boss, a sort of 'M' character. Could have been a good sitcom.

Morwenna Banks would have been his female sidekick and love interest. A bit like Johnny English - except 'good' and not 'shit'.

If I remember rightly, Alan was more of a George Smiley character working for 'Control'. Can't really imagine a James Bond called Alan.

Could the Big Train Jockeys become a sitcom? Probably not.

No I don't mean the 'control' sketches.

This was something different

Quote: Moonstone @ December 7 2009, 4:08 AM BST

The picky* dad character from Fast Show.

*Can't think how else to discribe him.

Do you mean the 'Now, I don't believe you wanted to do that' guy? I can see where you're coming from but Harry Enfield is probably only just getting over that being said to him 400 times a day.

Kevin Perry had a movie of course but that could've done a series I think but beyond that it would get a bit tiresome.