Heil Honey I'm Home!

Does more than the first episode of this still exist anywhere?

Watching a bit of it on YouTube. It's a bit random and I can see why it was cancelled after one episode.

Probably should be given a DVD release if the other episodes still exist just to see what happens.

No doubt other episodes exist in someone's attic. The problem with this show - other than the obvious one - was that the premise was a sketch idea and nothing else. If they had just shot a 3 minute sketch about the idea, fair enough. Unfortunately...

Yes, the show exists. Unfortunately it's locked deep in an archive somewhere. I'd love to get my hands on it.

It would be interesting to see it. I'm surprised (sort of) that by now nobody has re-broadcast it or given it a DVD release. I suppose the media would destroy them for doing it.

What was the sitcom (I think 60s or 70s) where there was a racist? People still bang on about it and it doesn't get repeated (I don't think anyway).

Till Death Us Do Part? Curry & Chips? Love Thy Neighbour?

Love Thy Neighbour! That's it :)

I remember seeing a clip of it on a countdown of controversial television. Looked tame

Quote: peter gazzard @ December 6 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

I remember seeing a clip of it on a countdown of controversial television. Looked tame

More they were cautious about the clips they showed.

I always felt sorry for Love Thy Neighbour, it was one of the first shows with black and white actors as equal. Certainly the cast had a lot of influence how it was written.

I think it suffered for not being as well written as Till Death Do us Part.

Heil Honey I'm Home was just awful and poorly written.

Love Thy Neighbour has an unfair reputation. It depicts just as much anti-white racism as it does anti-black, if not perhaps more at times. But the latter is all it's ever noted for.

Quote: Aaron @ December 6 2009, 2:27 PM GMT

Love Thy Neighbour has an unfair reputation. It depicts just as much anti-white racism as it does anti-black, if not perhaps more at times. But the latter is all it's ever noted for.

I've never seen LTN but from what I've heard, the black man is made to look just as stupid as the white man, as opposed to something like Rising Damp where it's obvious Philip is more intelligent than Rigsby.

They have quite an equal bantering relationship.

Quote: peter gazzard @ December 6 2009, 6:47 PM GMT

I've never seen LTN but from what I've heard, the black man is made to look just as stupid as the white man

More or less, yes. Bill Reynolds, the black man, is actually far more genuinely malicious than the white, Eddie Booth.

Quote: Aaron @ December 6 2009, 7:11 PM GMT

More or less, yes. Bill Reynolds, the black man, is actually far more genuinely malicious than the white, Eddie Booth.

Bill Reynolds was played by Rudolph Walker who may be better known these days as PC Gladstone in The Thin Blue Line and as Patrick Trueman in Eastenders.

By far best in The Thin Blue Line - and indeed almost certainly the best of the three programmes.

And Eddie's wife, Joan, was played by Kate Williams; now better known as the Liz Turner, the paternal grandmother of Libby, whose family live with Patrick in his house.

Quote: Aaron @ December 6 2009, 7:11 PM GMT

I disagree with that. Bill gets on with the other white characters, it is just Eddie he doesn't like and calls because of his racist views, whereas Eddie didn't like black people in general.

And yes, Rudolph was brilliant in The Thin Blue Line and in my opinion, frustratingly under-used.