The Persuasionists Page 23

Quote: Jinky @ February 11 2010, 12:09 PM GMT

The Persuasionists is an anagram of 'sinister phaseouts'.....

Laughing out loud

I've stuck with this show, being a f**king trooper and that, and it really isn't the duff piece of excreta that popular suggestion would have us believe.

It isn't a classic, oh no, I mean don't get me wrong or nuffin like that, but it's not entirely without merit, is all I'm saying. Has entertaining bits in it.

Then again I did like Lab Rats. (And you were all wrong to not do so).

Probably.

Quote: Nogget @ February 9 2010, 11:57 AM GMT

You seem to be implying that adherence to 'the rules' alone will produce funnier results. I would have thought the result would be more conventional, but no more or less funny.

That's possibly right, but funny isn't everything in sitcoms, not British sitcoms, they far more about lovable characters, their lives, and their relationships with opposing characters. Only recently has the Britcom become a shallow recepticle for gags and stand up style jokes, or childish silliness. And because of this, many are now talking of the decline in Briish sitcoms. So, one solution is to simply go back to the formula that created our best sitcoms instead of being slavish to the latest trends just because everyone involved wants to be thought of as cool. Good evening.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 7 2010, 5:59 PM GMT

But they are all woefully sub standard sitcoms, let's be honest, so something has gone wrong somewhere - either the BBC have stopped looking for top quality talent, there just isn't any top quality talent out there (don't believe this), they are scared of backing unknown talent and are too tied to existing 'names' (v much believe this) or there just isn't the money available now to develop the better sitcom ideas that do arrive in the post (I can definitely beleve this too).

I blame channels being too flipping scared of criticism for being rude or inappropriate or *insert other pitiful excuse here*. There's a culture of fear that is stifling creativity.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 9 2010, 12:19 AM GMT

I only slated The Persuasionists and Lab Rats and neither of these could you call traditional sitcoms.

I can kind of see the argument on The Persuasionists, but how was Lab Rats not a traditional sitcom?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 11 2010, 12:06 PM GMT

there has been some nervousness around this show - hence the late change of the title.

The title change wasn't "late" at all. They were trying to come up with a new one after the shooting of the second pilot (mid 2008). Why they still filmed the series under the original pilot title I'm not sure; I assume they just hadn't settled on one yet.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 11 2010, 7:00 PM GMT

That's possibly right, but funny isn't everything in sitcoms

Laughing out loud

Haven't thought much of this, not the worst, but doesn't live up to it's potential. The best bit for me was the field marshal birdseye scene, that I liked.

Quote: Aaron @ February 11 2010, 9:50 PM GMT

The title change wasn't "late" at all. They were trying to come up with a new one after the shooting of the second pilot (mid 2008). Why they still filmed the series under the original pilot title I'm not sure; I assume they just hadn't settled on one yet.

There were two pilots? I think my point about 'nervousness surrounding the show' is kind of confirmed then.

A title thread on here would generate three good titles in 36 hours. How could they not arrive at a better title than 'The Persuasionists' which was slammed in the Guardian review, not just on here.

The Iain Lee Comedy Vehicle.

The Hidden Persuaders

Grumpy Old Women

Some Bloke Who Ripped-Off a Few 'Flight of the Conchords' Songs to Make Pot Noodle Ads Tries to Rip-Off 'The IT Crowd' and Makes a Right Mess of It*

Not the catchiest of titles, I'll grant you, but at least people would know what they were in for.

*SBWROFFCSMPNATROTITMRMOI for short

Quote: Jinky @ February 12 2010, 10:29 AM GMT

Some Bloke Who Ripped-Off a Few 'Flight of the Conchords' Songs to Make Pot Noodle Ads Tries to Rip-Off 'The IT Crowd' and Makes a Right Mess of It*

Not the catchiest of titles, I'll grant you, but at least people would know what they were in for.

*SBWROFFCSMPNATROTITMRMOI for short

It's not the show's title that's the problem, just the 28 minutes of pure drivel every episode they try to pass off as comedy writing.

Quote: Aaron @ February 11 2010, 9:50 PM GMT

I can kind of see the argument on The Persuasionists, but how was Lab Rats not a traditional sitcom?

In the same way that (admittedly great) sitcoms The Goodies and Father Ted weren't - it was far too silly. The setting was traditional but being that silly and visually cartoonish still isn't traditional, not for prime time sitcoms. But the way things are going, it could be, in the future.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 12 2010, 9:50 PM GMT

In the same way that (admittedly great) sitcoms The Goodies and Father Ted weren't - it was far too silly. The setting was traditional but being that silly and visually cartoonish still isn't traditional, not for prime time sitcoms. But the way things are going, it could be, in the future.

Lab Rats was a traditional sitcom. Fact.

Regardless of if a show is considered 'traditional' or not, the only thing that matters to me is if the show makes me laugh.