Jerry Sadowitz Page 3

Saw Sadowitz at the Leicester Square Theatre last night (Tuesday 26th Jan).

An hour and a half of relentless, psychotic bile, exhaustingly funny.

The second week in a row I've seen Michael Macintyre getting, correctly, slaughtered. (last week it was Stewart Lee's go).

Criminally, however, the theatre wasn't even full. Nearly full, but not quite. Which for an act of his standing who, as he would put it, doesn't get much work, is outrageous.

He's playing until this Saturday. If you can get tickets, go and bloody well see him!

Hi

Basically I was wondering how often he does shows. And is he guaranteed to do a yearly show at the Edinburgh festival? As I would like to watch him live at some point but he doesn't seem to do any shows anywhere other than London or Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Also, when would we usually find out whether he was going to be at the Edinburgh festival? As I know he is/was doing some shows recently in London/Glasgow but it's a bit short notice and the seats that are left are pretty rubbish.

Thanks for your help.

Quote: Qazeleus @ March 9 2010, 5:04 PM GMT

Hi

Basically I was wondering how often he does shows. And is he guaranteed to do a yearly show at the Edinburgh festival? As I would like to watch him live at some point but he doesn't seem to do any shows anywhere other than London or Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Also, when would we usually find out whether he was going to be at the Edinburgh festival? As I know he is/was doing some shows recently in London/Glasgow but it's a bit short notice and the seats that are left are pretty rubbish.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry doesn't really do many shows on account of him having no proper representation, as far as I know. I'm not sure a run at Edinburgh is especially guaranteed. The best place to check for any shows that might come up is at his website, which is here:

http://www.jerrysadowitz.com/

Hi John

Yeah, I checked his website but it seems pretty abandoned as far as I can tell, because I remember looking at it a year or two ago and all of the click-able pages had information on them yet it's all gone now, so I just assumed that he doesn't run the site anymore.

But thanks for the help. I contacted the people who run the Edinburgh Fringe and they said that all acts are announced at the beginning of June so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Quote: Qazeleus @ March 11 2010, 9:41 AM GMT

Hi John

Yeah, I checked his website but it seems pretty abandoned as far as I can tell, because I remember looking at it a year or two ago and all of the click-able pages had information on them yet it's all gone now, so I just assumed that he doesn't run the site anymore.

But thanks for the help. I contacted the people who run the Edinburgh Fringe and they said that all acts are announced at the beginning of June so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

My pleasure, Qazeleus. The website is worth checking every now and then, he hasn't totally abandoned it. He does sometimes put stuff in the 'bollocks' and 'gigs' sections.

But yeah, it is a frustrating business getting to see him.

Hello!

I'm new here, am a major fan of Jerry Sadowitz ever since Danish TV had the good taste to show The Pall Bearer's Review (Revue?). I'm wondering if anyone here who's going to see Jerry live might approach him and please ask for an autograph for me? :)

Sadowitz is doing another couple of dates at the Leicester Square Theatre, 24th and 25th March.

http://www.leicestersquaretheatre.com/lqt/show/S1259244921/Jerry+Sadowitz

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 12 2010, 9:11 AM GMT

Sadowitz is doing another couple of dates at the Leicester Square Theatre, 24th and 25th March.

http://www.leicestersquaretheatre.com/lqt/show/S1259244921/Jerry+Sadowitz

Yeah, I know he is/was doing some shows this month, but it was too short notice for me, as I live about 200 miles away from London and I have my day-to-day commitments so I can't really find the time to travel down there right now, which is why I am looking out for an Edinburgh Festival show, as I will have enough time to plan for it.

I've seen Jerry Sadowitz over 20 times since the 80s, taken family and a few different girlfriends (one's now my wife), and never once regretted it. And, almost without exception, the people I've taken have been as equally impressed.

I saw one of his Leicester Square gigs this year - it was a much more skillful and refined version of some of the material I saw him trialling in a tiny theatre in Camden last year.

In all the times I've seen him I've never once witnessed the alleged swarms of disgusted puritans fleeing in horror of what they're seeing and hearing - there's always some people that leave, but they do it quietly (probably out of fear), and in fact last year when someone tried to leave (very politely), Sadowitz chased after him, grabbed him by his shirt and tried to drag him back to his seat.

I recently listened to my cassette of 'Gobshite' for the first time in a long time, I think Sadowitz recorded it in the late 80s. It's got the famous/notorious Nelson Mandela-Terry Waite joke in it - which, and I'd forgotten this, actually doesn't really get much of a laugh. Considering that nothing has ever been written about Sadowitz without mentioning the joke, it certainly doesn't seem to shock the audience in the way that journalists have reported it did.

Another thing I'd forgotten about Gobshite was how much politics and anti-Tory content it has in it - very nice to hear so much hatred towards Malcolm Rifkind and Norman Tebbit. Despite professing to be an antidote to the "right-on" type of comedy associated with Ben Elton, looking back on it Sadowitz was obviously in a similar frame of mind; though he'd no doubt rip out someone's throat if they ever dared suggest that to him.

If you haven't seen him then keep Googling him and dates will pop up from time to time. And don't believe the hype about being so offended that you'll walk out after 15 seconds and vomit in the gutter - ultimately he comes across as quite likable, and he is genuinely excruciatingly funny, not just mindlessly offensive. I don't profess to know why I find it funny or why others do, but for some reason being screamed at, sworn at and very often spat at on the front few rows (every time he uses the naughty F and C words he seems to spray out a gobful of saliva) makes for a quite a splendid evening.

Everyone has a different topic that most offends them, and the one joke that really did shock me was the one about how to crucify a Jewish spastic. But he hates people quoting his material, so I'll leave out the punchline.

Anyway, I'm not too sure why I just registered and wrote all of that (*insert smiley face*).