The Stephen K Amos Show - Series 1 Page 3

And genuinely no offence to Stephen K Amos (good luck, hope it goes well etc.) but if the BBC was wanting to specifically give a headline show to a black comedian, then why not take a bit more of a risk and give Reginald D Hunter or Felix Dexter a shot? Of course, in an ideal world, there wouldn't only be a single network-BBC-TV-slot-for-a-black-comedian every 10 years...

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 30 2010, 1:31 AM BST

One problem, other than not enough funny, was the structure - or lack of it. It was as if between deciding "Great, let's give Stephen his own show!" and recording the series, no-one had really sat down and properly thought out what elements should be included. Rather seemed that they chucked a bit of everything in, crossed their fingers and hoped it would gel.

Perhaps somewhat paradoxically, the pilot - although even mare varietous - had a better structure to it.

Oh, and did anyone notice the way the bloke in the audience (that Amos chatted to) was standing? With both thumbs tucked into the top of his jeans and his hands covering the crotch he was rather thrusting forwards? I can't decide if this was a homosexual "presenting" stance, or a defiant homophobic, heterosexual gesture. Can anyone give some clarification on this issue?

The one he gave a shirt to?

Er, the one who took his shirt off...? Did Amos give him it back then? I was far too busy watching his crotch-centric body language to notice.

Now I'm confused!
I don't remember a shirt coming off...

He removed his shirt in the hidden camera bit at the security check. Stephen gave him a new shirt in the studio by way of thanks for being such a good sport.

Ohhhhhh! Now I remember!

This is what I mean...

So does it say...

a) "Here are my genitals, Stephen - help yourself!"

or

b) "Here are my genitals, Stephen - but careful, they're for the delectation of the ladies in the audience only!"

I vote B!

*tumbleweed blows through thread*

*coyote howls in the distance*

*a lonely, distant bell chimes*

*a chill wind whispers through the long grass*

Well I liked it. This thread, I mean, not the show. That was awful.

I saw Stephen K Amos compering a 'best of' Edinburgh show three years ago and that convinced me to go see his live tour last year. He is brilliant live, but it's pretty much entirely audience-participation and he riffs off that brilliantly. He's also a lot more cynical and is quite rude when he thinks he can get away with it.

This show misses that whole vibe completely, to be honest. I agree that he's been crowbarred into this by the feel of it, and seems to not have much creative input to be honest. Fair play though, don't turn down a comedy slot on BBC Two though.

Anyway, I'd go see him live rather than watch this for a true reflection of him.

Dan

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 3:32 PM GMT

*a lonely, distant bell chimes*

*a chill wind whispers through the long grass*

Yup yup yup...