The Stephen K Amos Show - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 28 2010, 12:22 AM BST

Re-reading my post above, maybe I should just get in first and shout "Racist!" at myself? I hope I'm not, but then again I am Jewish, and you know what we're like...

Not another one! :O You're not gay as well are you?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 3 2009, 2:03 AM BST

I'm sure I remember (the far superior British black comedian, imo) Felix Dexter make an almost identical gag in his set when I went to see him perform about 16 years ago. Whistling nnocently

He does have a bit of a reputation on the circuit for possibly "borrowing" material.

Yeah, well... that wasn't great, was it? A few good gags but overall I was really disappointed - and that was supposed to be episode 5, but they swapped it with episode 1 as they decided it was stronger. Mm. There was nothing in the show to dislike, but then perhaps that was the problem: there wasn't really anything in the show to take any particular opinion on. It was all just a bit dull.

Yeah. Disappointing.

I lasted about 15minutes. Not my thing.

Bland and inoffensive. He'd do better in a teatime slot. Doubt I'll watch again.

I think it has the same problem as John Bishop's show. The BBC hire a current star of the stand up world and give them a variety show where they spell out constantly how the show works. I like Stephen K Amos but it seems in attempting to ensure the show has variety we instead get something with random unconnected skits. Even the studio audience weren't buying into it. Good example of it not working- he kept telling us to expect an appearance from his 'mother' and even afterwards kept referring to her. The ideas aren't really strong enough and aren't given enough room to really take life. The guests were also pretty weak, sadly. I appreciate giving lesser known comics a spotlight but what we got was just as soggy as the rest of the show. I hope this gets better and doesn't become another lame variety vehicle like Omid Djalili's BBC show was.

Oh, The Omid Djalili Show was wonderful, and miles better than this.

It was a bit too "Look at me, I'm not white British! That's the only joke!" for me.

"Did you hear that Kevin Costner released an album last year...?" - Yep, that's how you do topical observational comedy, folks.

Tom Allen... whimsically tepid - a latter-day Kenneth Williams in his own mind.

Is there anything that isn't funny when said in a Nigerian accent? Apparently there is...

Something very 1970s about introducing a sketch with the words "So I was thinking, what if...?"

Lucy Montgomery giving us another reminder of why Tittybangbang worked so well...

Overall, better than The Richard Blackwood Show.

Pfff....

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 30 2010, 12:53 AM BST

Pfff....

Did you crib this review from AA Gill?

I haven't watched this yet, nor read the thread, but I'm guessing - not great.

One problem, other than not enough funny, was the structure - or lack of it. It was as if between deciding "Great, let's give Stephen his own show!" and recording the series, no-one had really sat down and properly thought out what elements should be included. Rather seemed that they chucked a bit of everything in, crossed their fingers and hoped it would gel.

It's been years since I've seen Amos live (I remember him as jovially pleasant, but only sporadically amusing), but even his stand-up sections didn't seem very polished or confident. Considering he's a seasoned performer, this must have been a cause for concern?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 30 2010, 1:31 AM BST

It's been years since I've seen Amos live (I remember him as jovially pleasant, but only sporadically amusing)

This.