Live At The Apollo - Series 5 Page 2

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 11 2009, 9:56 PM GMT

Sarah Millican was v. good! She's got a nice way about her and I totally related to her material, especially the 'lady bits' bits.

I thought she was only Ok, though I've seen her do most of that set on some other show. Byrne was pretty funny. Much better than last weeks anyway.

I actually turned off before the end this week. I like Milican and Brydon but I didn't laugh once. The other guy was like Noel Fielding with no imagination.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 12 2009, 12:08 AM GMT

I thought she was only Ok, though I've seen her do most of that set on some other show.

Hi Matt Wave

I'd not seen Sarah before, but, isn't it part of a bigger problem though? The market is saturated now with the likes of YouTube etc. We've all seen these comedians and heard all their jokes on the TV. It must be so hard for them to write new material all the time, whilst trying to perfect their art.

The likes of Billy Connolly never had that problem when they were starting out because no-one was broadcasting their gigs 10 times a week/at the click of a mouse.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 12 2009, 12:13 AM GMT

I actually turned off before the end this week. I like Milican and Brydon but I didn't laugh once. The other guy was like Noel Fielding with no imagination.

F**kin' 'ell Godot, you are one grumpy bugger! Can't wait to meet you tomorrow! ;)

This is also the problem with the art world. Because people are fed a daily diet of mediated images nobody looks at anything any more so there is no original art - only an endless recycling of pre-digested images and conceits.

We are the bitches of post-modernism. :(

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 12 2009, 12:25 AM GMT

Hi Matt Wave

I'd not seen Sarah before, but, isn't it part of a bigger problem though? The market is saturated now with the likes of YouTube etc. We've all seen these comedians and heard all their jokes on the TV. It must be so hard for them to write new material all the time, whilst trying to perfect their art.

The likes of Billy Connolly never had that problem when they were starting out because no-one was broadcasting their gigs 10 times a week/ at the click of a mouse.

F**kin' 'ell Godot, you are one grumpy bugger! Can't wait to meet you tomorrow! ;)

Perhaps you can top up my half empty glass.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 12 2009, 12:31 AM GMT

This is also the problem with the art world. Because people are fed a daily diet of mediated images nobody looks at anything any more so there is no original art - only an endless recycling of pre-digested images and conceits.

We are the bitches of post-modernism. :(

Perhaps you can top up my half empty glass.

I ain't nobody's Bitch. Post-modern, meta-comedy or other wise.

Poodle then.

I can't STAND that woman with the glasses!

Looks like a great one tonight - Chris Addison and Tim Vine. :D

Quote: Marooned @ December 18 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

Yeah, but we also have to put up with the pub landlord
:(

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ December 18 2009, 2:44 PM GMT

Yeah, but we also have to put up with the pub landlord
:(

What went wrong with Al Murray? He used to be so funny...

Quote: Marooned @ December 18 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

You say that, but this show has a habit of sucking the life out of anybody. Acts and audience.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 18 2009, 3:10 PM GMT

You say that, but this show has a habit of sucking

Agreed

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 18 2009, 3:10 PM GMT

You say that, but this show has a habit of sucking the life out of anybody. Acts and audience.

Unfortunately I'm aware of that, but hopefully Tim Vine will breathe some life back into them!

I'd never seen Chris Addison do standup before.

I'd seen him in The Thick Of It. And I've seen Michael McIntyre. But I'd never seen Chris Addison doing standup before.

As much as I like Chris Addison in The Thick Of It, I thought his stand up was poor both in delivery and material. I'm sure the venue / medium didn't help, his work seemed like it would have had more impact with some good old fashioned sweary-ness.

Tim Vine was brilliant as always, you can't help but laugh at his terrible but very funny jokes.