Favourite One Foot In The Grave episode Page 3

One Foot In The Grave. Image shows from L to R: Margaret Meldrew (Annette Crosbie), Victor Meldrew (Richard Wilson). Copyright: BBC.

One Foot In The Grave

The grumpy complainer and accident prone Victor Meldrew takes early retirement and finds he has far too much time on his hands. His long suffering wife and neighbours just have to grin and bear it

Gianni Merryman

• Wednesday 17th March 2010, 9:01am
  • Pescara, Italy
  • 33 posts
Quote: greensville @ March 10 2010, 11:22 PM GMT

when Mrs Warboys is telling Margaret how depressed she is while Victor is listening to a comedy CD - He keeps laughing at the most inappropriate moment (so well timed)

As I can remember he is apparently listening at something by Monthy Python, am I right?

It is hard to choose only one single favourite episode, but in tha case I would choose "Things aren't simple anymore".
It was a perfect dramatic ending for the show and a touching farewell to our beloved hero Victor.

greensville

• Wednesday 17th March 2010, 9:23am [Edited]
  • England
  • 203 posts
Quote: Gianni Merryman @ March 17 2010, 9:01 AM GMT

As I can remember he is apparently listening at something by Monthy Python, am I right?

It is hard to choose only one single favourite episode, but in tha case I would choose "Things aren't simple anymore".
It was a perfect dramatic ending for the show and a touching farewell to our beloved hero Victor.

He was indeed listening Monty Python. He quotes Spam a few times (see link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Uc2AU4uB4

alison2345

• Thursday 1st April 2010, 8:25pm
  • England
  • 120 posts

I like the one where he is in the house alone on Jury Service. I can't remember the name of the episode.

John M

• Tuesday 25th May 2010, 11:29pm
  • Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • 225 posts
Quote: alison2345 @ April 1 2010, 8:25 PM BST

I like the one where he is in the house alone on Jury Service. I can't remember the name of the episode.

I think it's called the 'The Trial'.

Dave

• Friday 28th May 2010, 10:18am
  • United Kingdom
  • 1,172 posts

'Hearts of Darkness' is my favourite. I would also say 'The Wisdom of the Witch' but it should have been a half hour instead of an hour. 'Endgame' was brilliant too.

peter gazzard

• Friday 28th May 2010, 10:21pm
  • England
  • 839 posts
Quote: John M @ May 25 2010, 11:29 PM BST

I think it's called the 'The Trial'.

It is called The Trial

BardManners

• Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 12:19am
  • England
  • 105 posts

I can't face watching them all cos I like them so much. The Futility of the Fly is probably my favourite. I like the randomness of the object and the horror of fish and finger takeaways.

roystonpoisoner

• Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 2:12pm [Edited]
  • brighton, England
  • 61 posts

There are so many great episodes.
The one with the finger in the chips is a classic!

I didn't like series 1 or 2 though.

Dave

• Wednesday 4th August 2010, 7:37pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 1,172 posts
Quote: roystonpoisoner @ August 3 2010, 2:12 PM BST

I didn't like series 1 or 2 though.

Series 1 is not very good at all, in my opinion. The house they were in wasn't modern enough. The second one - which we are most familiar with - is much more bright and sitcomy.

I don't think there were many excellent episodes of One Foot, more scenes and extended sequences. For example, the scene were Patrick machine guns the garden knomes is often repeated in documentaries etc, but the rest of that episode is very melancholic and below-par.

'Hearts of Darkness' was excellent, and 'The Wisdom of the Witch' is mostly good, but would have been better as a 30 minute episode, as opposed to 60. The '97 episode 'Endgame' is brilliant, of course. Series 4&5 is the best, I think.

peter gazzard

• Wednesday 4th August 2010, 9:02pm
  • England
  • 839 posts
Quote: Dave @ August 4 2010, 7:37 PM BST

Series 1 is not very good at all, in my opinion. The house they were in wasn't modern enough. The second one - which we are most familiar with - is much more bright and sitcomy.

I don't think there were many excellent episodes of One Foot, more scenes and extended sequences. For example, the scene were Patrick machine guns the garden knomes is often repeated in documentaries etc, but the rest of that episode is very melancholic and below-par.

'Hearts of Darkness' was excellent, and 'The Wisdom of the Witch' is mostly good, but would have been better as a 30 minute episode, as opposed to 60. The '97 episode 'Endgame' is brilliant, of course. Series 4&5 is the best, I think.

David Renwick might have felt the same about the house in the first series, hence his wriitng in the plot about the house being raised to the ground. The 'gnomes' episode, Who's Listening also features Cathy 'Casualty' Shipton(incidentally thimk Doreen Mantle,who played Mrs Warboys in One Foot,played her mother on Casaulty the same year, and possibly recommended her to the One Foot casting team). Very weird especially when Victor and Pippa's dad are being held captive by that guy with the time obsession

roystonpoisoner

• Wednesday 4th August 2010, 9:25pm
  • brighton, England
  • 61 posts

The reason I didnt like them was that the humour wasnt there like in series 3 onwards.

Jack Massey

• Wednesday 4th August 2010, 11:25pm
  • England
  • 2,965 posts

I personally thought the first two series were excellent and right up there with the amazing quality of the later episodes.

OneFootinthePodcast

• Saturday 31st October 2020, 7:42am
  • 19 Riverbank, United Kingdom
  • 8 posts

I have to split the category of favourite one foot episode into two.

Favourite 30 minuter
Favourite special (+30 mins)

Fave 30 minuter = Secret of the Seven Sorcerers
Favourite special - Endgame

OneFootinthePodcast

• Friday 20th November 2020, 7:21am
  • 19 Riverbank, United Kingdom
  • 8 posts

Things Aren't Simple Anymore - the finale, was aired 20 years ago today.

Such a sad ending! Grief stricken watching this.