New Zealand Sitcoms Page 2

Not sure where to post this, but think that NZ and Australia are close enough haha..has anyone seen ABCs The Chasers War on Everything? They do some amazing stuff, but think maybe because its mainly on Australian current affairs so it may be lost on the rest of the world..but they do some segments on world news also..maybe one of their most famous stunts was at the APEC summit in Sydney, where they dressed up as Osama Bin Laden - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdnAaQ0n5-8, very clever. Has anyone else seen them? Hate them or love them?

Quote: ApplePie @ March 9 2010, 9:30 AM GMT

Not sure where to post this, but think that NZ and Australia are close enough haha..has anyone seen ABCs The Chasers War on Everything?

Already two threads devoted to The Chaser's War on Everything, which has ceased to be.

Here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/13472

And here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/13760/

Quote: ApplePie @ March 9 2010, 9:30 AM GMT

Not sure where to post this, but think that NZ and Australia are close enough haha..has anyone seen ABCs The Chasers War on Everything? They do some amazing stuff, but think maybe because its mainly on Australian current affairs so it may be lost on the rest of the world..but they do some segments on world news also..maybe one of their most famous stunts was at the APEC summit in Sydney, where they dressed up as Osama Bin Laden - http://www.postalgold.biz, very clever. Has anyone else seen them? Hate them or love them?

Thankyou :)

Quote: ApplePirate @ March 9 2010, 10:30 AM BST

Not sure where to post this, but think that NZ and Australia are close enough haha..

Wooo - I know someone who won't be happy about that.

>_<

Quote: Steve Charlie @ 13th December 2009, 9:35 AM GMT

Worzel Gummidge Down Under was not as good as the original Worzel Gummidge in my opinion - although it was still okay. There was a story about it stopping prematurely due to a TV company folding. I'm not sure if that was the original Worzel Gummidge or 'Down Under'. As a New Zealander its nice to have the NZ flavour in downunder - especially as that was the time I was growing up. I have most of them on DVD but not quite all.

Recently started watching Worzel Gummidge Down Under on YouTube and it certainly is inferior to the original (which had ceased because of the demise of Southern Television). Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs are as great as they can be, but the scripts were weak and some of the co-stars poor. One co-star who stands out is the tramp/poacher/oddjob man named Rooney. The Kiwi Crowman does a valiant impersonation of Geoffrey Bayldon's original but he lacks gravitas. Would have been so much better if they'd used a Maori crowman, rather than casting a Maori as the villain.

Why is it that certain British sitcoms from the 60s to the 80s went to Australia (or in this case, New Zealand) to die?
These included:
Hancock's ill-fated last series (1968).
Father, Dear Father in Australia (1979).
Love Thy Neighbour in Australia (with Jack Smethurst, 1979-80).
Doctor Down Under (1979) (later resurrected in UK).
Are You Being Served? (only John Inman, 1980-81)
Worzel Gummidge Down Under (1987-89)
Even Minder (should not be on this list) had a couple of later episodes in Australia (just for fun).

I wonder if the Australian networks were under the belief that British stars and local versions of their shows would be ratings winners... Or was it that certain UK shows were axed and thus sought fresh production or co-production in Australia (or even NZ)?

I look forward to:
Peep Show in Australia.
and of course, The Rebel Down Under.

I wish I could add a whole lot of titles in here but I can't. The ones I have seen in recent years that have been called comedies or sitcoms have not made me laugh. In fact I haven't even spotted any parts that could have been mistaken for jokes.

Quote: LoopyTheClown @ 24th September 2016, 9:59 AM

I wish I could add a whole lot of titles in here but I can't. The ones I have seen in recent years that have been called comedies or sitcoms have not made me laugh. In fact I haven't even spotted any parts that could have been mistaken for jokes.

Does NZ have any ethnic comedies? Such as Maoris and Middle Eastern immigrants living next door to each other? Or a Maori and an Iranian working as bouncers at an Auckland pub?

We can be quite fearful of racial things here (and in all honesty we are quite a racist country). We had a great comedian called Billy T James who was a Maori and made some great Maori sketches etc but certain Maori's hated him for it and I believe he was even shot at once too. I tried to find some of his sketches but the best ones seem to have been taken down. He also did a sitcom about a bi racial family but it wasn't really that great.

Have you heard of or seen Bro Town? It is a cartoon about some pacific island boys and their Maori friend. I found the first series funny.

There was a movie recently about a white boy marrying an asian woman using the tired old plot of parents disapproving but I never saw it so I can't give you my thoughts on it or even what it was called.

There used to be a sketch show called Skitz (originally called Skitzo but the PC crowd didn't like that!). They had some great ethnic based stuff that was actually funny and not offensive (although some probably found it so).

There was a sketch show which tried to be like Goodness Gracious me but they missed the point and it really was just racist.

So no, not really.

Quote: LoopyTheClown @ 24th September 2016, 11:03 AM

Have you heard of or seen Bro Town?

Yes, I mentioned my fondness for it on the first page of this thread. I picked up the first three series on DVD when last in Australia. Is it still being made?
I am also a fan of Billy T. James. And Skitzo sounds like a great name.
There's a lot of potential in ethnic-based comedy without needing to resort to silly stereotypes or racism. Just need to have great characters.

Quote: Kenneth @ 24th September 2016, 12:08 PM

Yes, I mentioned my fondness for it on the first page of this thread. I picked up the first three series on DVD when last in Australia. Is it still being made?
I am also a fan of Billy T. James. And Skitzo sounds like a great name.
There's a lot of potential in ethnic-based comedy without needing to resort to silly stereotypes or racism. Just need to have great characters.

Glad you know about them.

Yeah that is what a lot of writers here miss, they seem to think they can just make a racist joke and it will be hilarious.