Underrated, undervalued or forgotten gems Page 20

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2011, 2:46 PM GMT

Girls On Top is an absolute f**king abortion of a programme. So offensively bad, it deserves to have ended the careers of its stars.

Is that the one I watched and quite liked?
Where they all live together in a flat?

Yes. Although I seem to recall you only watched the relatively-genius Series 1.

I'm sure many people here remember Chalk. I seem to remember enjoying that a lot. And I used to like The High Life as well.

Quote: Griff @ February 20 2011, 12:23 AM GMT

Oneupmanship was marvellous. The original Stephen Potter books contain some of the funniest stuff ever written.

I'd love to see it! Might obtain some of his books before I get the chance to watch it. Both sound brilliant!

I remember as a very young nipper, watching and liking The Gnomes of Dulwich, starring I think, Hugh Lloyd & Terry Scott.

It was on late Monday on evenings 9.30ish and I haven't really a clue what it was like or indeed what it was about other than them being dressed as gnomes and sitting on ornamental toadstools. However as a 5 year old I liked the cuteness of it plus it kept me out of bed for longer than other nights.

EDIT:

Just checked and it was broadcast in the late sixties which in fact made me 10-ish at the time so my memories are possibly a bit warped.

Quote: Lassoon @ February 20 2011, 12:20 AM GMT

I'm sure many people here remember Chalk. I seem to remember enjoying that a lot. And I used to like The High Life as well.

You can now get the first series of Chalk on DVD.

http://www.replay-shop.co.uk/chalks1.htm

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 20 2011, 12:34 AM GMT

I remember as a very young nipper, watching and liking The Gnomes of Dulwich, starring I think, Hugh Lloyd & Terry Scott.

It was on late Monday on evenings 9.30ish and I haven't really a clue what it was like or indeed what it was about other than them being dressed as gnomes and sitting on ornamental toadstools. However as a 5 year old I liked the cuteness of it plus it kept me out of bed for longer than other nights.

EDIT:

Just checked and it was broadcast in the late sixties which in fact made me 10-ish at the time so my memories are possibly a bit warped.

I would love to see The Gnomes Of Dulwich (you're right on the stars). Sadly, not a SINGLE sodding episode exists. :(

I did hear some rumour that one may have been found a few years ago, but nothing since so I assume it was unsubstantiated.

Who Dares Wins, A Kick Up The Eighties and Naked Video get my vote.

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2011, 11:03 PM GMT

Yes. Although I seem to recall you only watched the relatively-genius Series 1.

RE: "Girls On Top"

You obviously see the 'genius' and 'potential' that I see - I just must see more of it. The bizarre plots that obviously aren't to your taste rather amuse me.

Nice to chat about it.

Dick Vosborough could fit into forgetten genius category; Canadian born, he wrote for Frost on Sunday, The Two Ronnies, and various people including Danny La Rue, Lenny Henry, etc. He also wrote the musical A Night in Hollywood. He was also the captain on the radio show The Space Patrol.
He spent most of his latter years writing obituaries of film stars. He himself died in 2007.

I too adored Nathan Barley, (as mentioned on the first page) also Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. I watched these recently, ie. only a couple of years ago on 4OD. I really wanted more of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, it won't and can't be the same again if anymore are made now. The poor quality special effects also added to its briliance.

Also, Monkey Dust - one of my faves.

Quote: Tapped Silver @ February 20 2011, 4:26 PM GMT

also Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. I watched these recently, ie. only a couple of years ago on 4OD. I really wanted more of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, it won't and can't be the same again if anymore are made now. The poor quality special effects also added to its briliance.

Agree with this. I was introduced to the series by a friend, and we always used to come home for lunch and watch it on YouTube a few years back. Brilliant it was, but I thought the few episodes added to the charm of the idea of the series being "cancelled for being too daring". I loved how Garth Marenghi always made cringeworthy attempts to plug himself and his books through the series. :D

I thought Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was great, but the conceit of the show struggled to fill six episodes, so I don't think it could have successfully taken on a second series. Some shows - especially "concept sitcoms" (for want of a better phrase) are best left at one series and are not really built to last multiple series. Nathan Barley is another example of this.

Misleading Cases was a classic. Presumably Aaron will confirm that "not a single sodding episode" exists of this either? (Yes, I enjoyed the Gnomes of Dulwich too, though it was scarcely a masterpiece.)

This one? https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/a_p_herberts_misleading_cases/

Only 4 exist. :(

Yep, that's the one, thanks. As I didn't think even 4 episodes would exist, it's a "pleasant" surprise (especially if the first episode is one of them). If ITV can release At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set in severely limited number of episodes on DVD (well done them), is it really too much to ask to see these once more? Then again, if The Goodies can't be released in full (or even shown in full)... As it's the right era, I won't give up hope that missing episodes will be found of this (and Not Only But Also, and...) in the same way as Dad's Army resurfaced.