Too Far, Jimmy Carr? Page 8

Quote: Marc P @ October 26 2009, 2:06 PM BST

At the end of the day only one man is really qualified to make a judgement and until Ross Kemp issues a statement it's all so much idle speculation.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I think part of the issue with Carr's joke (which is backed up by reading ARSSE, the unofficial army web forum) is that it's Jimmy Carr telling it.

If you don't like Jimmy Carr, then it's offensive.

If you like Jimmy Carr, then it's okay.

For the record I'm ambivalent about Carr but think the joke is funny AND would have no hesitation in telling it (if it were mine to tell) to audiences at the military gigs that I do.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 26 2009, 2:16 PM BST

I think part of the issue with Carr's joke (which is backed up by reading ARSSE, the unofficial army web forum) is that it's Jimmy Carr telling it.

If you like Jimmy Carr, then it's okay.

There were exceptions, such as the one quoted by the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/10/26/jimmy-carr-s-amputee-joke-angers-army-commander-115875-21774748/

"As much as I dislike this one-line merchant I believe this was probably a line he picked up from Headley Court from the guys there in rehab and so feels justified in using it."

For the record I'm ambivalent about Carr but think the joke is funny AND would have no hesitation in telling it (if it were mine to tell) to audiences at the military gigs that I do.

Get back to us on that one.
:)

No Black Knight defence yet?

Quote: Marc P @ October 26 2009, 2:19 PM BST

Get back to us on that one.
:)

Tell you what, I will ask them at the next gig I do (currently HMS Nelson next month) what they thought of the joke and report back.

The irony, for me, is that I'm really not an "offensive" comic on any level, I tend to steer clear of anything "controversial" as at the current stage of, what I laughingly refer to as, my career, I can't afford to give anyone a reason not to book me, but I feel that there's a witch hunt at the moment and comics need to stand together on this.

I often find myself agreeing with that famous one-liner merchant Voltaire, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

There's a part of me that does want him to have some shit thrown at him, I admit, as I find him a soul-less and dispiriting comedian. He has absolutely zero stage presence and no warmth. He just spouts out gags whilst his dead eyes stare into the abyss.

A really great stand-up has more in his arsenal than gags alone. The difference for me is that none of his material is truthfully personal, really about him, and he has nothing much to say about the world. His jokes wouldn't be any more or any less funny if you just read them on the page. You might as well go to a theatre and watch a computer placed on stage, monotonously churning out the gags.

He strikes me as the ultimate comedy nerd who knows what is funny, why it is funny, but has forgotten the reason that great comedians are so admired - because they show some vulnerability. He's not got the balls to do that - or maybe he is as shallow and emotionless as his persona suggests?

Of course, I appreciate that a lot of people find him very funny and don't really care what his agenda is, so long as he makes them laugh. :)

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 26 2009, 2:29 PM BST

Tell you what, I will ask them at the next gig I do (currently HMS Nelson next month) what they thought of the joke and report back.

The irony, for me, is that I'm really not an "offensive" comic on any level, I tend to steer clear of anything "controversial" as at the current stage of, what I laughingly refer to as, my career, I can't afford to give anyone a reason not to book me, but I feel that there's a witch hunt at the moment and comics need to stand together on this.

I often find myself agreeing with that famous one-liner merchant Voltaire, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Someone quoted that to me the other day. But if I was walking up the road and That Griffin fellow was walking behind me and I saw an angry crowd rushing towards him, I probably wouldn't hang around to defend his right to say anything to the death. :D

But yes interested to get feedback, different from actually telling the joke mind. I imagine as everywhere else feedback will be mixed.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 26 2009, 2:29 PM BST

A mis-attributed quote. It was actually originated by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in a book she wrote about Voltaire in 1906. She had summarised his attitude to his defence of a fellow author and her words became mistakenly attributed to Voltaire, despite the fact he never said such a thing. :)

Wasn't Evelyn Beatrice Hall in fact Tim Henmans great great grandmother and the first woman to serve overam in tennis?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 26 2009, 2:36 PM BST

A mis-attributed quote. It was actually originated by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in a book she wrote about Voltaire in 1906. She had summarised his attitude to his defence of a fellow author and her words became mistakenly attributed to Voltaire, despite the fact he never said such a thing. :)

Typical!

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 26 2009, 2:36 PM BST

Blimey, I feel like Alan Davies on "QI".

:D

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 26 2009, 2:31 PM BST

There's a part of me that does want him to have some shit thrown at him, I admit, as I find him a soul-less and dispiriting comedian. He has absolutely zero stage presence and no warmth. He just spouts out gags whilst his dead eyes stare into the abyss.

A really great stand-up has more in his arsenal than gags alone. The difference for me is that none of his material is truthfully personal, really about him, and he has nothing much to say about the world. His jokes wouldn't be any more or any less funny if you just read them on the page. You might as well go to a theatre and watch a computer placed on stage, monotonously churning out the gags.

He strikes me as the ultimate comedy nerd who knows what is funny, why it is funny, but has forgotten the reason that great comedians are so admired - because they show some vulnerability. He's not got the balls to do that - or maybe he is as shallow and emotionless as his persona suggests?

Of course, I appreciate that a lot of people find him very funny and don't really care what his agenda is, so long as he makes them laugh. :)

I personally thought the joke was ok. Regards JC's humour, it really is a matter of taste. He's a one liner kind of a comedian. He keep's abreast of the news and thinks how can I make this funny. He's never been a story teller and never will be. I actually prefer the story teller types and am not a massive fan of JC, he reminds me of a funny, uglier Tim Vine

He presented an industry awards ceremony I was at a while back, and that really is his strength. You want someone who is going to go in and tell jokes. Quick, one liners to drunk people. Perfect. The alcohol made him funnier.

Not really made any particular point here, just trying to say that it really is a matter of taste. He sells lots of tickets and DVDs as he is a good joke teller, not necessarily because he is a great comedian

I prefer my comedians wth a little more moral fibre, such as Stewart Lee.

And Jerry Sadowitz.

Quote: Marc P @ October 26 2009, 2:38 PM BST

Wasn't Evelyn Beatrice Hall in fact Tim Henmans great great grandmother and the first woman to serve overam in tennis?

AKA Stephen G. Tallentyre.