The Impressions Show With Culshaw And Stephenson - Series 1 Page 6

Agreeed.
The Gordon Brown rap went on for way too long too.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 31 2009, 2:59 PM GMT

Peter Serafinowicz's show was very hit-and-miss, but as Lee says, it did at least try to put a different twist on doing impressions. I particularly liked his 'Acting Masterclass' - a very clever Kevin Spacey one and I loved the idea of portraying Ralph Fiennes as Rigsby (though not sure why I loved it). :)

That was fantastic (the only sketch show to date to have me literally crying with laughter in fact!) - the smarmy Kevin Spacey was priceless. Also loved Dead or Undead (the Butterfield ads were always my favourite, but not an impression ... off topic, eep!). Annoying that a DVD release seems unlikely . . .

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2009, 10:50 PM GMT

Agreeed.
The Gordon Brown rap went on for way too long too.

God, that dragged. Awful.

I don't think I'll be bothering with this in future.

OMG, a Gordon Brown rap? Jesus! :(

This is all incredibly old-hat; it is staggering that anyone, and I mean anyone, is entertained by 'impressions' anymore.

Episode two was up and down in terms of quality I thought (they could have done a better job of skewering Rooney)... but 'Davina' is still brilliant.

Quote: Dave @ November 15 2009, 6:01 PM GMT

I had no idea the second episode was on. They should advertise better.

They're not treating this particularly well are they! Until the BBC Marketing department get their act together, https://www.comedy.co.uk/schedule/ is your best bet Dave. Use our complete 7-day schedule, and you'll never miss a thing again!

Quote: jim field @ November 16 2009, 10:44 PM GMT

This is all incredibly old-hat; it is staggering that anyone, and I mean anyone, is entertained by 'impressions' anymore.

I agree. Though I think that mimicry could still be entertaining if the material was strong, but it always seems to be feeble,

I did laugh at Brucie's Dr Who interview. Wasn't a bad ep this week. I don't understand the Cameron sketches though. What do they mean, what are they supposed to be saying? Or are they just random?

Saw this show for the first time on Saturday and it seemed like it should be aimed at kids. As kids for me now is anyone under the age of 25 I don't know that's entirely helpful. Maybe it should be on Saturday teatime but I presume it's on when it's on because it's supposed to be for an adult audience. That counts me for out.

It's been done better before

Quote: Moonstone @ November 29 2009, 1:58 PM GMT

I did laugh at Brucie's Dr Who interview. Wasn't a bad ep this week. I don't understand the Cameron sketches though. What do they mean, what are they supposed to be saying? Or are they just random?

Yes, I'm quite perplexed by those. A poor impression, mediocre makeup, and as far as I'm aware the sketches themselves don't relate to ... anything, really. Quite strange.

Anyway. Seems to have gone vastly downhill from the first episode. It's not at a state where it's unwatchable but it's not hitting the mark all that often, and many of the impressions (vast majority being from Culshaw, sadly) are just plain poor.

It may improve in the 3 remaining episodes, but get in better writers, give yourselves more time perfecting the voices, and a second series could work.

There are more misses than hits, but still some good stuff. Stephenson's (fit) impression of Ann Robinson is spot on. Culshaw is good, but the problem he has is that there's something in his own voice which he can't get rid of, no matter who he's doing. If it wasn't for that many of his impressions would be great, but it's this kind of highish nasal tone that's always there and a dead give-away.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 6 2009, 3:59 PM GMT

Culshaw is good, but the problem he has is that there's something in his own voice which he can't get rid of, no matter who he's doing. If it wasn't for that many of his impressions would be great, but it's this kind of highish nasal tone that's always there and a dead give-away.

Just like Mike Yarwood.

Who?

The Anne Robinson was much better overall - voice and look - than the Simon Cowell.

Wow - She is good. Her Kirsty was brilliant too.