The Impressions Show With Culshaw And Stephenson - Series 1 Page 3

Well, I most likely won't watch this show (cos it's not really for us cool kids, let's face it), but I do enjoy the preview clip posted on the BCG front page.

Not be any stretch of the imagination the funniest sketch I have ever seen, but it chooses a good target and hits it cleanly and efficiently. :)

Quote: peter gazzard @ October 26 2009, 7:03 PM BST

Best impressionist I've seen on box was Mike Yarwood but having said that caught a clip of Bremner doing Keith Floyd recently and thought it was great, which is unusual as I've never beem a fan of Rory.

Mike Yarwood - are you serious? He was about on the same par as Les Dennis, surely.

Here he is doing an "amazing" Jimmy Saville. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya6oo5A9Y3k

God he reeks

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 31 2009, 3:08 AM BST

Well, I most likely won't watch this show (cos it's not really for us cool kids, let's face it), but I do enjoy the preview clip posted on the BCG front page.

It's been picking up some pretty good preview reviews, so worth a look!

Quote: Mark @ October 31 2009, 3:15 PM BST

It's been picking up some pretty good preview reviews, so worth a look!

When I say "I most likely won't watch this show..." I of course mean "I most likely won't admit to watching this show...". ;)

I with Tim on this. I can't really find the funny. Although I did enjoy and get slightly confused by Peter Serafinowicz impressions. But at least he tried to offer a twisted version of his target, rather than an identical one.

Quote: Leevil @ October 31 2009, 3:53 PM BST

I with Tim on this. I can't really find the funny. Although I did enjoy and get slightly confused by Peter Serafinowicz impressions. But at least he tried to offer a twisted version of his target, rather than an identical one.

The problem too often is that whole sketches are too often just written around the impression, they are not very funny beyond the references they make to the impression. I always consider it slightly significant that one of the most talented British impressionists made a decision to turn his on doing them professionally some years ago. He, of course, is Steve Coogan.

Peter Serafinowicz's show was very hit-and-miss, but as Lee says, it did at least try to put a different twist on doing impressions. I particularly liked his 'Acting Masterclass' - a very clever Kevin Spacey one and I loved the idea of portraying Ralph Fiennes as Rigsby (though not sure why I loved it). :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 4:26 PM BST

i.e. none. ;)

It's what stand-ups used to call someone who didn't have a sense of humour, in my day. This was when comedy clubs used to feature a lot more "comedy performance artists", including jugglers who told "jokes". Hence, someone who was trying to be funny but didn't have a f**king clue, was someone who "had a juggler's sense of comedy". :)

That's Tim, always going for the juggler.

Quote: Badge @ October 31 2009, 8:01 PM BST

That's Tim, always going for the juggler.

>_< :D

There have been some funny sketches here. Although I never recognised Ross Kemp.

That was the girl from Kath and Kim wasn't it?

Yes - Culshaw is good and generally it's just showcasing how clever he is.

Actually Debra Stephenson was really good too.

Not impressed by the Gervais sketch. That was just one of the characters he created.

John Culshaw is useless. His Eamonn Holmes sounded like Gerry Adams crossed with Wogan crossed with John Culshaw. It doesn't matter who he's supposed to be his own nasal whine always dominates. I bet there are people out there that can even do a better John Culshaw than him.

I can do a good Catherine Tate, but who wants to see that?

Quote: YesNo @ October 31 2009, 11:29 PM BST

John Culshaw is useless. His Eamonn Holmes sounded like Gerry Adams crossed with Wogan crossed with John Culshaw. It doesn't matter who he's supposed to be his own nasal whine always dominates. I bet there are people out there that can even do a better John Culshaw than him.

I do think that vocally he is generally quite good and the make-up is getting better. But he's got such a distinctive ugly look that you can't ignore.

Now you know how we feel, Chappers.

I thought it was terrific. Shame we have to wait two weeks for the next one.

It was a bit hit and miss for me. I liked the Davina McCall, Philip Glenister and Anne Robinson impressions. :)

Quote: Chappers @ October 31 2009, 11:10 PM BST

Not impressed by the Gervais sketch. That was just one of the characters he created.

True!