The Impressions Show With Culshaw And Stephenson - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 1:26 AM BST

I've never particularly understood why someone adopting someone else's voices and mannerisms is considered inherently funny. Is there a psychologist, psychiatrist, sociologist or anthropologist in the house to explain this phenomenon?

*waits expectantly*

So you never laughed when one of your mates at school did an impression of the teacher?

Quote: R.J. @ October 25 2009, 10:53 AM BST

So you never laughed when one of your mates at school did an impression of the teacher?

I used to be the one doing the impressions. And still do occasionally. But I still think they are the comedy of the playground rather than something that deserves a mass audience. If they are used to make some really good satirical points (as they were in the glory days of Spitting Image) then I think they are good. However, most impressionists use them to make predictable jokes and non-satirical jibes thesedays though. Too often I get the feeling that beyond imitating a voice and a couple of mannerisms there isn't really any comedy there.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 24 2009, 9:36 PM BST

They usually have a juggler's sense of comedy.

Go on. You're going to have to explain. Huh?

Quote: bigfella @ October 25 2009, 4:21 PM BST

Go on. You're going to have to explain. Huh?

i.e. none. ;)

It's what stand-ups used to call someone who didn't have a sense of humour, in my day. This was when comedy clubs used to feature a lot more "comedy performance artists", including jugglers who told "jokes". Hence, someone who was trying to be funny but didn't have a f**king clue, was someone who "had a juggler's sense of comedy". :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 3:30 PM BST

I used to be the one doing the impressions. And still do occasionally. But I still think they are the comedy of the playground rather than something that deserves a mass audience. If they are used to make some really good satirical points (as they were in the glory days of Spitting Image) then I think they are good. However, most impressionists use them to make predictable jokes and non-satirical jibes thesedays though. Too often I get the feeling that beyond imitating a voice and a couple of mannerisms there isn't really any comedy there.

So, actually, you do think they can be 'inherently funny'. You must do if you used them to either entertain yourself or your mates. And if they're the comedy of the playground, then so are prat falls and fart jokes. Still doesn't stop them being any less funny in later life (if they work within a specific context).

What I think you mean is that the act of impressionism itself is perfectly valid. An impression is a magic trick with the voice. It's just that once the audience has seen/heard the trick, by and large it's appeal gets less and less each time it's repeated.

To continue the analogy, some magicians are like Paul Daniels and some are like Penn and Teller. It's all in the attitude. It's the same with impressionists. Anyone tuning in to this new Culshaw show hoping to see people getting a savage kicking are (probably) going to be disappointed. It's a mainstream BBC One show and that's not the brief it's working from. You want savage satire? Look at the Tina Fey/Sarah Palin stuff from SNL during the run up to the last US Election. That genuinely cost the Republicans votes.

Quote: R.J. @ October 25 2009, 5:42 PM BST

So, actually, you do think they can be 'inherently funny'.

Not really, I don't find "taking off" someone is in itself inherently funny. And therefore I don't understand why some people instantly crack-up the moment an impression is done, no matter what is being said. :)

I have this vision of you doing an impression and seeing your mates creasing up with laughter, whilst wearing a bemused expression on your face that says 'Why are you laughing?' :)

Quote: R.J. @ October 25 2009, 8:55 PM BST

I have this vision of you doing an impression and seeing your mates creasing up with laughter, whilst wearing a bemused expression on your face that says 'Why are you laughing?' :)

Yep, that's pretty much how it was and continues to be. :)

'Ooh, Betty!'

'Ha ha! Stop it, Tim!'

'Oh, for God's sake! You peasants!'

I've never stooped as low as doing Spencer. Not even when I was a kid. Unimpressed

But you're right about the peasants bit. Pleased ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 9:03 PM BST

I've never stooped as low as doing Spencer. Not even when I was a kid. Unimpressed

I did.
And I'm sure I stooped lower than that as well.
I quite liked being able to do impressions, and doing Elvis has earn't me few bob in more recent times.

Don't get me wrong, Impressions are ever so cheesy, but I still think they are fun.

If anybody happens to be going past the Annals Of The Over-Rated, would you please be a love and pop Jon Culshaw in there. Cheers.

Preferably at a point when he's doing his piss poor Tom Baker. Again, Cheers.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 26 2009, 2:57 PM BST

Preferably at a point when he's doing his piss poor Tom Baker. Again, Cheers.

It's when he does his impersonation of Tom Baker doing the voice-overs to Little Britain that I realise that Life is ultimately futile. Wave

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 26 2009, 3:10 PM BST

It's when he does his impersonation of Tom Baker doing the voice-overs to Little Britain that I realise that Life is ultimately futile. Wave

Life is ultimately futile? Oh shit! Now you tell me!

Best impressionist I've seen on box was Mike Yarwood but having said that caught a clip of Bremner doing Keith Floyd recently and thought it was great, which is unusual as I've never beem a fan of Rory.