The Good Life DVDs

Does anybody have any idea what is happening with the release of The Good Life on DVD. Is every episode available to buy at the minute? Then there does seem to be some episodes from other series on a separate DVD. I can't understand it. I have series 4 (which I took from my late Grand Mothers house), but nothing else. Series 4 is now very rare apparently and is going for about £30 on ebay. Yet, what's happening with the rest. Any one any ideas? Yes, you Aaron.

A slim boxset of Series 1-4 of The Good Life has been for sale in Australia for a while. To tempt completists who already bought the individual series, it includes new cast interviews and the 1977 Christmas Special.

The complete series was out in one box set about three years ago. It was in the Christmas sale at £39.99. I had the money for it in vouchers, yet instead after a lot of thinking, I purchased the complete One Foot in the Grave. For me, One Foot is a better series, but knowing what I know now, I would have got The Good Life and bought One Foot at a later date.

A bit of independent research has brought me to this conclusion:
initially Acorn Media released the complete series:
Series 1 - excluding the episode Backs to the Wall
Series 2 - Complete
Series 3 - excluding the episode The Windbreak War
Series 4 - Complete with 1978 Royal special
Special DVD - With Back to the Wall, The Windbreak War and the 1977 special Silly But It's Fun

This could all be brought in a big box set or seperately. This box-set then got deleated (the only place I see it is on amazon by an independant seller for £289.99 - a bit pricey there I think), along with series 4 and the Specials DVD and a box-set then came out of all of series 1-3 (excluding the episodes on the special DVD). Then something happened to series 1 as Series 2 and 3 were then released as a box-set and now all has been deleted of The Good Life. I think possibly a 2Entertain release will hopefully be in the offering where the complete thing can be released and enjoyed.

Well done, Jack. That's a question I've been meaning to ask, myself. It has enetered a stranger nether-world of releases. Its the same with Absolutely Fabulous (although I see that is on the way).

Quote: The Rook @ October 24 2009, 11:19 AM BST

Well done, Jack. That's a question I've been meaning to ask, myself. It has enetered a stranger nether-world of releases. Its the same with Absolutely Fabulous (although I see that is on the way).

I hope A Very Peculiar Practice will also some day be re-issued (or issued for the first time on DVD in the case of Series 2 and the Special). The Good Life Complete Collection boxset on sale in Australia is appropriately in a box made from recycled paper/cardboard and contains no plastic disc holder bits, just slots, and the cover has no glossy/glazed inks. As for the complete AbFab, that's been on sale here for the equivalent of about 50 quid.

About 48 quid too much then, Kenneth.

Jack: I think that there may have been a best of type collection at some point too, but otherwise I don't know anything further than what you've managed to dig up (ho ho). For one of the few sitcoms that still gets the occasional terrestrial BBC outing, it's had really quite bizarre DVD treatment.

I've done some research for this over here, and it looks as if there was a best of at one point, then series 1-3, series 4, and then the final series. Of course under the name Good Neighbors.

Quote: Aaron @ October 24 2009, 12:26 PM BST

Jack: I think that there may have been a best of type collection at some point too, but otherwise I don't know anything further than what you've managed to dig up (ho ho). For one of the few sitcoms that still gets the occasional terrestrial BBC outing, it's had really quite bizarre DVD treatment.

Do you think that 2entertain will sort out a release?

Quote: Aaron @ October 24 2009, 12:26 PM BST

I, erm, bought my set of the AbFab DVDs in Indonesia for the equivalent of 3 quid, as the original was not stocked by a single shop, and Amazon doesn't do orders from Indonesia due to the high level of carding (online credit card fraud) there. I no longer have the box, but should have saved it, as the sitcom had been inadvertantly retitled Solutely Fabulous.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 26 2009, 1:03 PM BST

Do you think that 2entertain will sort out a release?

Well I'm sure that there will be a proper release, but what company it will come from I wouldn't like to say. There are too many on the scene now to make a guess about shows like that.

Quote: Kenneth @ October 26 2009, 1:09 PM BST

I, erm, bought my set of the AbFab DVDs in Indonesia for the equivalent of 3 quid, as the original was not stocked by a single shop, and Amazon doesn't do orders from Indonesia due to the high level of carding (online credit card fraud) there. I no longer have the box, but should have saved it, as the sitcom had been inadvertantly retitled Solutely Fabulous.

Ha!

I have a box set with these episodes on is this all episodes??

AWAY FROM IT ALL
THE GREEN DOOR
OUR SPEAKER TODAY
THE WEAVERS TALE
SUIT YOURSELF
SWEET AND SOUR CHARITY
ANNIVERSARY
WHEN I'M 65
THE EARLY BIRDS
THE HAPPY EVENT
A TUG OF THE FORELOCK
I TALK TO THE TREES
WHOSE FLEAS ARE THESE
THE LAST POSH FROCK
PLOUGH YOUR OWN FURROW
SAY LITTLE HEN
THE WEAKER SEX
PIGS LIB
THE THING IN THE CELLER
THE PAGAN RITE
BACKS TO THE WALL
THE WIND BREAK WAR
SILLY BUT ITS FUN
JUST MY BILL
THE GURU OF SURBITON
MR FIX IT
THE DAY PEACE BROKE OUT
MUTINY
HOME SWEET HOME GOING TO POT

It does say complete series but just thought I'd make sure lol..

Yep, that appears to be all of them. Not in order, but all.

Yeah. Very annoying. I got so fed up of not being able to find them or only being able to find part of it at exhorbitant prices, I just recorded it all off Watch or GOLD or whatever channel showed it all recently.

So is my box set worth a lot???

Quote: barney @ November 18 2009, 1:41 PM GMT

So is my box set worth a lot???

Probably not, but it would cost you a lot to replace it.