The Lovers

I'm just rewatching this Jack Rosenthal creation again at the minute. I think it is one of the forgotten gems of British sitcom, great dialogue and great performances by Richard Beckinsale and Paula Wilcox. Though not up there with Beckinsale's other triumphs, Porridge and Rising Damp, it is still top stuff. There was even a semi regular role in it for Doctor In The House star Robin Nedwell. But yes, I think it's great stuff.

I would love to be able to watch this series. Due to my financial state I tend to have to watch what's available over the net and have so far had no luck finding this.

I am a huge fan of Beckinsale and Rosenthal is one of my favourite writers, 'The Knowledge' has to be one of the funniest things ever broadcast.

I can't say I've ever seen this, but with Richard Beckinsale and Paula Wilcox starring in it, it's probably one of the best.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 22 2009, 9:40 PM BST

There was even a semi regular role in it for 'Doctor in the House' star Robin Nedwell.

Wasn't Maureen Lipman also a regular?

No, she only appeared in one episode. Lipman was the real life wife of creator Jack Rosenthal.

I used to love this - and had a schoolboy crush on Paula Wilcox. Such dreamy eyes!

Quote: Chappers @ October 23 2009, 1:14 AM BST

I used to love this - and had a schoolboy crush on Paula Wilcox. Such dreamy eyes!

What, you when you were a schoolboy, or Wilcox? Huh?

Watched all of the first series again and I'm really into it. I've got three questions though, which some of you may know:
1) Is Joan Scott, who played Beryl's Mum still alive?
2) Is Alison King, who was an 'extra with a credit' if you get what I mean (she would always be near Geoffery when he'd say something outrageous and then look horrified) still alive?
3) What ever happened to the movie of this sitcom. Has it been recently repeated and is it available to buy anywhere?

Through what medium did you watch it? I am guessing it isn't via DVD and I don't think it's ever shown on TV. I would really love to watch this so if it was via the internet would be grateful if you could send me a link.

About 5 or 6 years ago there was either a one off first series episode shown, (the very first one) or the whole first series, on BBC, so it definitely has been on at least once.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ October 27 2009, 9:34 PM BST

Through what medium did you watch it? I am guessing it isn't via DVD and I don't think it's ever shown on TV. I would really love to watch this so if it was via the internet would be grateful if you could send me a link.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/930791/The-Lovers-The-Complete-Series/Product.html]
[h=511862]

robin nedwell's dead I know that

Quote: peter gazzard @ October 27 2009, 11:48 PM BST

robin nedwell's dead I know that

I didn't. :(

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 27 2009, 3:31 PM BST

Watched all of the first series again and I'm really into it. I've got three questions though, which some of you may know:
1) Is Joan Scott, who played Beryl's Mum still alive?
2) Is Alison King, who was an 'extra with a credit' if you get what I mean (she would always be near Geoffery when he'd say something outrageous and then look horrified) still alive?

Why does it matter? What have you got in mind?

Quote: Timbo @ October 27 2009, 11:49 PM BST

I didn't. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/270324.stm