What to send to companies??

Hi, I'm a first time writer just about finished my first script. Just wondering if anyone can advise me exactly what to send to companies. One episode, two episodes, character profiles, that sort of thing. Thanks for any help!

Quote: Dowl @ October 22 2009, 11:27 AM BST

Hi, I'm a first time writer just about finished my first script. Just wondering if anyone can advise me exactly what to send to companies. One episode, two episodes, character profiles, that sort of thing. Thanks for any help!

One pilot episode. No character profiles. Just a good funny script with strong characters that gets straight into the story in the first few pages with no waffle. Make sure you've got the basics right, like length for instance. Nobody's going to read a script that's 15 pages long. Or one that's 80 pages.

Just do your homework and pray.

cheers for that. do you not need to send any covering letter or anything. just simply one episode. also when you say nobody's going to read a scriptthat's 15 pages long. mines well over 15 pages. it is a full episode spanning over 14 scenes. Is this a bad idea?

That's great. Cheers!

Don't...Don't...Don'tbelievethehype.

Tis wise to write a one-page treatment. Make it concise, snappy, and be sure to convey your humour in it. Ultimately, it needs to make a producer think:

'Ooh, this looks interesting, I might have a look at this.'

Quote: Stu R @ October 22 2009, 5:20 PM BST

Tis wise to write a one-page treatment. Make it concise, snappy, and be sure to convey your humour in it. Ultimately, it needs to make a producer think:

I wouldn't.

Quote: Dowl @ October 22 2009, 11:44 AM BST

do you not need to send any covering letter or anything.

You should always send a brief covering letter.

In an effeminate lispy voice?

a producer think:

From my experience a Producer will more likely say "F**king hell, not another one."

Quote: don rushmore @ October 22 2009, 5:23 PM BST

You should always send a brief covering letter.

Covering letters are for wimps, Don. You told me that at the last Oscars ceremony.

Quote: Morrace @ October 22 2009, 5:35 PM BST

Covering letters are for wimps, Don. You told me that at the last Oscars ceremony.

Laughing out loud

If you're sending a covering letter/outline/script notes, keep 'em as brief as possible and don't put any "explanations" regarding your show which should be gleaned from reading the script. The script should always do the vast majority of the donkey work, IMO. :)

I think the best thing is to send what they ask for.

Quote: LIME5000 @ October 22 2009, 5:24 PM BST

From my experience a Producer will more likely say "F**king hell, not another one."

Are you a producer?