The Armstrong & Miller Show - Series 2 Page 6

Quote: Timbo @ November 8 2009, 8:14 PM GMT

I think it is so-so. I just honestly had no idea what you mean t by saying it was 'depressingly old-fashioned'. (And I am still none the wiser.)

Staid, conservative, sedate, doesn't push any boundaries, lacking innovation. I'm not expecting cutting edge from BBC Friday nights but it just doesn't do it for me. Sorry for being obtuse.
:)

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 8 2009, 9:09 PM GMT

Staid, conservative, sedate, doesn't push any boundaries, lacking innovation. I'm not expecting cutting edge from BBC Friday nights but it just doesn't do it for me. Sorry for being obtuse.
:)

I still don't understand how a joke can be staid and conservative; I am not even sure it can be innovative. Production techniques, reference points and even delivery styles, can date (and nothing more so than the 'cutting edge'), but funny is still funny.

What would be your idea of a 'cutting edge' sketch show?

Timbo - the writers may not be 'oxbridge writers' in a literal sense, but they certainly appear to be using that awful style as their inspiration. How you cannot see the conservative, old fashioned, unsubtleness of this show is beyond me. Are you old?

Quote: jim field @ November 8 2009, 11:07 PM GMT

Are you old?

What's all this ageism, Jim? You were on at me earlier for being old, just because I used the term "vox pop". (It was you, wasn't it? Errr Apologies, my memory's not as good as it used to be.)

Knowing of a few of the writing team on this show, I don't think they are particularly of that kind of background, or have that kind of outlook. I've got stuff forward for the next series of A&M and I'm certainly not an Oxbridge type (I think). :)

Old is a state of mind. I hope your 'stuff' is better than the current content.

Whatever next? Someone doing something the opposite of what they normally would be expected to do - in a posh voice! Oh how they laughed.

Quote: jim field @ November 8 2009, 11:07 PM GMT

Are you old?

Enough I hope to have gained some wisdom.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 8 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

Apologies, my memory's not as good as it used to be.)

That's 'cos you're old !

I don't ever find sketch shows funny, but I do find your weird hangups about where people were educated quite hilarious. Not sure why really.

Quote: ellipsis @ November 9 2009, 9:15 AM GMT

I don't ever find sketch shows funny, but I do find your weird hangups about where people were educated quite hilarious. Not sure why really.

It's jealousy. The plebs are bitter of the quality education they missed out on.

Anyway. A lot of really funny stuff. Perhaps not the highest hit-rate of late, but it's heart-warming and enjoyable even when a little comedically dull. I do particularly love the musical sketches. More of the comedy that The Giggle-o (not so apt a username) and jim field loathe, please.