It's Only A Theory Page 2

It looks like a radio show to me.

Aubrey's beard would not work on radio.

Quote: Timbo @ October 14 2009, 3:21 PM BST

Aubrey's beard would not work on radio.

Point taken.

Caught this again last night for some reason and I still find it irksomely bad.

The theories being presented are just too pedestrian and unimaginative - last night it was 'the human eye is lying to us' - we already know this, that's why optical illusions work.

If they had someone come on and say 'we are controlled by squirrels', 'Einstein was a f**kwit' or 'George W. Bush was the best President ever', then I might pay a little more attention, but as it is, the topics covered are so wholly uncontroversial and predictable, that I find myself zoning out.

The static nature of the show, almost entirely devoid of flashy graphics, video clips and quick editing makes it look like a programme made in the 1960s. It's akin to Jukebox Jury but without the excitement (and Jukebox Jury wasn't that exciting to begin with). The inclusion of a rubber stamp and a paper shredder demonstrates just how out of touch this format is in the digital age.

It's Only A Theory's lack of movement, glitz and production values makes out of date mediocre crap like Blankety Blank look like Rome under the reign of Caesar.

This is pants of the highest order.

I quite like it, but I'm not really that sure why.

I do think many of the theories are a bit lame though. I thought it was going to be all about mad profs offering something they'd thought of themselves, but for the most part they're just covering theories that have been around for donkeys and which are pretty much common knowledge and not particularly inspiring. When the man came on yesterday with the thing about vision I got quite excited and thought we might be taken into Kant-esque 'nature of reality' discussions, but it was just about crappy optical illusions as RC says, and was pretty damn disappointing in the end. Reginald Hunter is also a comedian I highly rate, but he struggles on this show. Still I find it watchable, all said, though I don't know exactly why.

I likes it.

It is rather radio show-y now you mention it, but I like slow, static, slightly academically oriented shows, for some reason.

I think Johnny Ball should host one.

Oh God yes! Bring back the Johnny!

I very much heart him.

I bet he's so old now. He was ace though, I heart him too. He ranks up with Tony Hart as an ace person from childhood.

Definitely.
Just hearing his voice makes me feel all warm and happy and safe.

He needs to do me some spoken word CDs. :)

Quote: zooo @ November 5 2009, 12:16 AM GMT

Definitely.
Just hearing his voice makes me feel all warm and happy and safe.

He needs to do me some spoken word CDs. :)

Ha! Like theraputic ones! :D
Why don't they just give him a job on TV again, it's a travesty!

It certainly is. Let's start a campaign.
Give Us Back Our Ball!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Anyone still watching this or have you all given up?
From the beginning I did wonder how they were going to keep the show going seeing as sooner or later they're going to run out of experts. That worry may've been confirmed yesterday when, already, they invited a guest in who's been on before. I wonder if we'll see even a second series?

I think it could have been better, but it is still a lot more entertaining than most BBC Four panel games, and since it must cost about six bob an episode to make, it must be in with a chance of scoring another series.