Never Mind The Buzzcocks - Series 23 (2009) Page 17

Brilliant! One of the best for a loooong time. Start the Frankie for Buzzcocks petition and I'll sign!

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 10 2009, 12:41 PM GMT

What did he say about McIntyre?

He said something about helping the fight against illegal downloads by telling his mate not to bother with McIntyre's DVD cos it's shit.

It often looked like McIntyre was uncomfortable on Mock the Week.

Quote: Joey Moose @ December 10 2009, 12:34 PM GMT

Let's just hope that the BBC sees sense and asks Frankie back and not Jack Whitehall.....

It'll never happen, Jack Whitehall ticks too many boxes for the Beeb types - young, attractive, non-threatening sexuality so young girls and gays fancy him and let's not forget that he's got a posh voice and from a well to do background.

I mean, yeah, he's not very funny, original or entertaining, but this is the BBC we're talking about. Even though Buzzcocks goes out at 10pm and is full of swearing, it's still seen as a 'kids' show, you know, for the kids with their skateboards and their rapping, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if they made Dappy a permanent fixture whilst they're at it, because of you know, it's for the kids.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 10 2009, 12:46 PM GMT

He said something about helping the fight against illegal downloads by telling his mate not to bother with McIntyre's DVD cos it's shit.

Well that's Mr Kettle V. Mr Pot, innit!

I rather liked Jack Whitehall from what I saw of him.

I thought it was classic Herring when he ranted at the audience last night.

He reminds me of a thousand people I knew while at uni. He's just a student on TV, with a student's humour, albeit not very good even in that sense.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 10 2009, 2:22 PM GMT

Well that's Mr Kettle V. Mr Pot, innit!

I couldn't possibly say. I imagine if you've seen Mock The Week you've seen most of his DVD though.

Even Jack Whitehall always seems to be vaguely shocked that he's appearing on TV. I think there must be a few women behind the scenes who feel very maternal to this boy, which is the only reason for him constantly turning-up on our screens as far as I can tell. He would be better served by going back to comedy school for a few more years before he tries to play with the big boys. (Oh, and I'm aware that I sound like a bitter old man, btw. ;))

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 9 2009, 10:38 PM GMT

Probably one of the funniest Buzzcocks ever thanks to Frankie. Plus he got in a Michael McIntyre dig so he immediately goes up in my estimation.

Here here.
The meteoric rise of this deeply unfunny man is one of the strangest phenomenons of our time. But judging by the laugh Frankie got for that one I'm not the only to be perplexed by this.

I think McKintyre can actually be funny but he does his jokes about such weak or contrived observations that it just comes across as a little irritating.

And thinking about it a bit more, I still think that Boyle would make a good permanent host but I think he'd need to ration himself to just the one "I kidnap, rape and murder children" gag per week.

Oh I'd forgotten Boyle and MacIntyre were both on MTW together. That makes it even more interesting!

Quote: Joey Moose @ December 10 2009, 12:34 PM GMT

Actually, most of the jokes seemed more "edgy" than the kind of stuff that even Amstell used to say on occasions, so I get the impression that a lot of them were Frankie's own

That was why he was reading them off an autocue. I'm sure he went through the script and added a word here and there but he was reading a script, sorry. The episode was written by staff writers, not the guest presenter. I like Frankie Boyle but the world doesn't bloom out of his arse.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 10 2009, 4:01 PM GMT

Even Jack Whitehall always seems to be vaguely shocked that he's appearing on TV. I think there must be a few women behind the scenes who feel very maternal to this boy, which is the only reason for him constantly turning-up on our screens as far as I can tell. He would be better served by going back to comedy school for a few more years before he tries to play with the big boys. (Oh, and I'm aware that I sound like a bitter old man, btw. ;))

I'm not much older than Whitehall but I'm incredibly bitter about his fame ;)

Just watched it now on iPlayer, was a brilliant episode.

Quote: Nogget @ December 10 2009, 2:07 PM GMT

It often looked like McIntyre was uncomfortable on Mock the Week.

Well I don't know how true this, but apparently Hugh Dennis and Michael McIntyre didn't get along too well the first few times he appeared on the show. Can't remember which series, but there's an episode where Hugh is talking about a race which he took part in, only for Michael to make a rather dumb joke about it. The look on Hugh's face could only be described as "bloody annoyed".

However, they must have patched things over as they seem fine in more recent episodes.

I know Boyle was reading - but I'm still convinced it was his own script. Definitely his style.

Who's this Whitewash bloke? I've probably been told before but so memorable I've forgotten.

Good to see Carol though not making herself look totally ridiculous.

And who was the bloke in Jupitus's team?