Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe Page 2

I thought it was good and brought back some brilliant memories. Being an avid gamer and being reminded of Gamesmaster was brilliant.

I watched it on iPlayer last night, really enjoyed seeing all those old games I used to play, Monkey Island,Doom, Wolfenstein 3d (god the first time I played that it was a revelation) and Knightlore! oh, happy day.

Loved Dara O'Brien's piece about the door monster. He's quite right though, I've quit playing so many games because I couldn't get past a particular point!

I was in sympathy with Charlie about the demise of the adventure game. It was a blast-from-the-past seeing the old ZX Spectrum struggling to colour-fill the vector graphics on the 'The Hobbit', but those type of old-fashioned adventure games used to be really great fun for some of us. They (shock!) even involved the ability to type words in order to play them.

Pitfall Harry. Have I just imagined that, or is it a real memory? I wasted so much time playing that.

Those text adventure games aren't dead Tim.

The call them "interactive fiction", and there's still a community of folk knocking them out.

Big free archive here: http://wurb.com/if/

I can heartily recommend "Anchorhead", "Shade", "Blighted Isle" and "Blowjob Drifter".

Cheers, Kevin. I shall look into this. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 30 2009, 11:34 AM BST

Cheers, Kevin. I shall look into this. :)

Look

Invalid command

Was all I ever got. :D

Not a big gamer but will give it a try as Charlie Brooker is good value and hope it will be better than the previous programme earlier on BBC Four about a family having to live in the primitive pre-gadget 1970s.
From what I saw they were a pathetic bunch of whining twats moaning on as if they had been plunged into the Dark Ages.
How hard must it of been back then having to watch Fawlty Towers and the Sweeney for entertainment instead of Lunch Monkeys and Spooks Code 9.
And as for a night out at the cinema, did they have to sit through Taxi Driver the Godfather and Annie Hall instead of Transformers and Adam Sandler comedies. How did they survive.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 30 2009, 11:38 AM BST

Look

Invalid command

Was all I ever got. :D

When we got our first Acorn Electron, we had to return "Sphinx Adventure" for a replacement copy several times before we realised it was *supposed* to behave like that.

Quote: youngian @ September 30 2009, 11:39 AM BST

Not a big gamer but will give it a try as Charlie Brooker is good value and hope it will be better than the previous programme earlier on BBC Four about a family having to live in the primitive pre-gadget 1970s.
From what I saw they were a pathetic bunch of whining twats moaning on as if they had been plunged into the Dark Ages.
How hard must it of been back then having to watch Fawlty Towers and the Sweeney for entertainment instead of Lunch Monkeys and Spooks Code 9.
And as for a night out at the cinema, did they have to sit through Taxi Driver the Godfather and Annie Hall instead of Transformers and Adam Sandler comedies. How did they survive.

The 70s were the Dark Ages. There were loads of powercuts.

I agree with Zooo. I love Charlie, and found it funny as ever but I did lose interest several times since I'm not a huge fan of games n shit.

Here's some more adventure/text games. Infocom ones. They were brilliant.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

I'm glad he brought Gamesmaster back into the general consciousness. Will bode well for my current project. :D

Quote: youngian @ September 30 2009, 11:39 AM BST

Laughing out loud You f**king cynic youngian.

A good one off, but wouldn't work as a series. I particularly liked his review of the 50 Cent game.