Brighton Belles

Was this any good? I remember watching it when I was a kid in the early 1990s, but when I was reading about it I found out that ITV never broadcast the whole series. I have quite a good memory of it and thought it went on for ages. I'm sure I liked it alot.

Nobody at all remembers it?

Bet there's not much hope of a DVD release for it then! :)

I'm far too young. :)

I'd like to see it though.

It was UK remake of the Golden Girls and as far as I remember it was really awful. However my mum like it as she never understood US humour or heard of the Golden Girls and is attracted to weak sit coms.

It was an English version of The Golden Girls with the mother out of Bread, and set in Brighton it was 'translated' with the logic, vision and breadth of Bernard Manning stuck in a doorway. I seem to remember it was pulled before all epsiodes were aired.

Yes, 10 episodes (following a pilot) were commissioned, but only 6 screened. The final 4 were broadcast more than a year later.

The shockingly low ratings probably ensure that it's at the bottom of any distributor's to-release list.

It was around the time this show aired that ITV decided that it wouldn't try to do comedy anymore.

Quote: Aaron @ September 24 2009, 3:13 PM BST

The shockingly low ratings probably ensure that it's at the bottom of any distributor's to-release list.

This is a proper question, but do big ratings translate to big DVD sales? Are the most popular shows in terms of audience figures the ones that sell the most DVDs? And what are the biggest selling comedy DVDs of all time?

Quote: chipolata @ September 24 2009, 3:16 PM BST

And what are the biggest selling comedy DVDs of all time?

Wasn't it The Office for a while?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 24 2009, 3:16 PM BST

Wasn't it The Office for a while?

I think so, for a while. But I think one of Peter Kay's shows - Phoenix Nights? - may have done equally well. I'd like to see a list.

And what are the biggest selling comedy DVDs of all time?

It's a bit early to tell that yet.

Quote: Marc P @ September 24 2009, 3:22 PM BST

It's a bit early to tell that yet.

:D You've made me do a smile, Mister P!!!

This is a proper question, but do big ratings translate to big DVD sales? Are the most popular shows in terms of audience figures the ones that sell the most DVD's? And what are the biggest selling comedy DVDs of all time?

One would have thought so, but no. Two of the 1990s' most popular sitcoms - Birds Of A Feather and 2point4 Children - sold so dismally when DVD releases began that the respective companies were extremely close to bankruptcy. (Or so I've been lead to believe.)

Having said that, I'm sure that large viewing figures help sales, but factors such as the enduring longevity of programmes, G.O.L.D. (etc) repeats, series notoriety, and even as simple as the age and stars of the programme would also have a hefty influence on figures.

Quote: chipolata @ September 24 2009, 3:21 PM BST

I think so, for a while. But I think one of Peter Kay's shows - Phoenix Nights? - may have done equally well. I'd like to see a list.

Kay re-releases Phoenix Nights in some form almost every year, so the figures for that are probably somewhat skewed.

They must have flogged every moment of Peter Kay's professional career by now on DVD. Cynical barrel-scraping at its most blatant. Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing were excellent, but the rest of stuff - including his over-rated stand-up - meh!

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 24 2009, 3:40 PM BST

They must have flogged every moment of Peter Kay's professional career by now on DVD. Cynical barrel-scraping at its most blatant. Phoenix Nights and The Peter Kay Thing were excellent, but the rest of stuff - including his over-rated stand-up - meh!

I agree. Someone bought me two of Peter Kay's stand-up DVDs and most of the material was the same.