I've just seen... Page 408

Quote: sootyj @ 17th December 2015, 6:13 PM GMT

Spoiler free review of the Force Awakens. This film was a bit of a disapointment, basically there's nothing in it that wasn't in the first couple of films. The new cast seem uneasy and unconfident in their roles. Only to be expected when they're in part 7 of a saga, that seems to have no confidence to say anything new And the oldies seem to be reliving parts they left beind more than 3 decades ago. Where as Empire and a New Hope had a pervasive sense of menace, from an all powerful empire and force of evil. Here I wasn't sure what was going on. Was the Empire defeated? Was there a new republic? What's the big action bit meant to be? Is that a major character? It's a jumble of other people's better ideas filtered through a committee with an eye on sequels, TV shows and merchandise. There's no rebel trenches on Hoth shaking as the might of the Imperium marches on them, no Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy. No snappy, witty natural character dialogue. Just awful crowbarred in winking punnery. And where as the effects are good they really aren't any better than say the Avengers, it doesn't matter how good an Xwing looks skimming over a lake if it's going nowhere. The film has no real centre nor a central character to fixate on. It certainly doesn't have the cool, menace of Bespen and it's devious caretaker. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back the only 2 really good starwars films are decades old and are legendary now. So it seems positively necrophiliac to dig them up and bolt on new fx which TFA basically does. This unhappy zombie scifi film tbh feels like so many scifi films these days, a sad dump for profit all over childhood memories. It lacks the vision even of the Phantom Menace etc which at least tried to do something new, with the fx revoloution even if they largely failed. Come on JJ Abrahams do something new, tell a fresh story with new technology. Stop looking over your shoulder or we'll end up with another Lost in Space.

Well you just shat all over the one last thing in this world I have to live for

Twat

Flocks of Redwings. I haven't seen them for about10 years. Must be the mild winter.

Quote: chipolata @ 18th December 2015, 10:54 AM GMT

Apt Pupil. A very good little film that's been pretty much forgotten. And Brad Renfro was excellent as the creepy high school kid obsessed with a Nazi. Sad to just read that he died in 2008 at the age of 25.

It was always destined to be the case. JJ Abrams is a renovator, not an innovator. Although I'm still pretty excited about seeing it.

Not so sure Star Trek and Cloverfield were both extremely original and bold.

Quote: lofthouse @ 18th December 2015, 9:31 PM GMT

Well you just shat all over the one last thing in this world I have to live for

Twat

I didn not shit on your cat your holiness, it moves to fast.

Quote: chipolata @ 18th December 2015, 10:54 AM GMT

Apt Pupil. A very good little film that's been pretty much forgotten. And Brad Renfro was excellent as the creepy high school kid obsessed with a Nazi. Sad to just read that he died in 2008 at the age of 25.

Good, very good still not as good as the book.

Some BBC promo, where there is a load of tossers screaming at each other (with I think London accents, so presume it is Eastenders) and falling into some lake.

Dear oh dear, so this is what some television has sunk to is it - what a load of crap and how sad.

It is frightening how popular 'Stenders is and also that the BBC treat it as such a treasure.

Assault on Precinct 13. Still holds up brilliantly. And Laurie Zimmer was gorgeous. Pity she only made a few films then hit it on the head.

Quote: sootyj @ 19th December 2015, 9:47 AM GMT

Not so sure Star Trek and Cloverfield were both extremely original and bold.

Cloverfield was Matt Reeves. And Star Trek was a brilliant reboot, but didn't really add anything new to the Trek universe. JJ was a safe pair of hands who was never going to do anything too radical with a franchise that needed rescuing after Lucas had pretty much trashed it in the prequels.

Mad Max Fury Road. Not as much story as I was expecting, but it looked beautiful and it was quite fun.
And if I was the type to cosplay, I would so be dressing up as characters from that film.

Aaron on TV

Quote: Chappers @ 1st January 2016, 9:20 PM GMT

Aaron on TV

:O ?

Crimewatch.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st January 2016, 9:20 PM GMT

Aaron on TV

"Is that gobshite never off the air?"

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 1st January 2016, 10:29 PM GMT

:O ?

Documentary about Ronnie Corbett. He looked quite suave and sophisticated. Not like the scruffy urchin I met a couple of times.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd January 201's:15 PM GMT

Documentary about Ronnie Corbett. He looked quite suave and sophisticated. Not like the scruffy urchin I met a couple of times.

Sitting among the studio audience? I was watching parts of the show, unfortunately not the whole thing. If I had known Aaron is in it I would have recorded it. Angry

He was one of the talking heads! :O