Python explain the rules of Cricket

Can anyone find a source for the Monty Python sketch where a player (Terry Jones) tries to explain the rules of Cricket to a presenter (Michael Palin).

Here's one bit I remember...

JONES: Next we have what we call bails.
PALIN: Balls.
JONES: No, bails.
PALIN: Ha! Now I don't know much about cricket but I think you'll find they're called balls.

Anyone able to help? Might have been on one of their LP recordings but you may know different.

Don't remember that one (and I used to have all the Python LPs - as we called them during the War, kidz).

One of the best "forgotten" Python sketches, which I don't think was ever filmed and only appeared on record, was the one about a man called Simpson consulting an advertising executive (played by Cleese) about how to market a large quantity of string that he's inherited. It's a very good satire on the false claims of advertising.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 20 2009, 11:36 PM BST

Don't remember that one (and I used to have all the Python LPs - as we called them during the War, kidz).

One of the best "forgotten" Python sketches, which I don't think was ever filmed and only appeared on record, was the one about a man called Simpson consulting an advertising executive (played by Cleese) about how to market a large quantity of string that he's inherited. It's a very good satire on the false claims of advertising.

Ah yes.

'33,000 miles of it. All in three inch lengths...so it's not very useful.' :)

"Well that's your selling point!" :)

Ahhh, more is coming back to me now:

Ready cut and ready to use. It's the 'Now' String! (or something like that) :D

I'm sure there was something about tying messages to the legs of pegeons or something.

Full sketch here: http://www.skepticfiles.org/en001/monty16.htm

Yep, and...

"It's not just string, it's everything! It's water-resistant!"
"No it isn't."
"Well it's water-absorbent! It's super-absorbent! Simpson's super-absorbent string!"
"You're mad."
"Away with floods! Away with the monotony of everyday tidal waves!"

...something like that anyway. ;)

Never mind Python, it's quite simple . .

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Capice? :D

:D

Do you know who originated that bit, oldrocker? I've heard it many times over the years but don't know who came up with it.

No, like you Ode Pal, I've heard it for years but I just Googled 'the rules of cricket ' for that one.

:)

Oh well... ;)

Tuumble, are you sure that that's a Python sketch? It doesn't sound very Complete And Utter History-y (https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/complete_utter_history_britain/) but it could be from one of the numerous other shows, or even an Amnesty performance or something?

It wasn't another show like The Complete And Utter History Of Britain, which was a Palin/Jones sketch show from 1969?

EDIT: Sorry, Aaron, you got there first. :P

Heheh. Fear my geekery.

At Last The 1948 Show? The Frost Report? Do Not Adjust Your Set? I don't recall offhand which Pythons were in what.

It won't be the '1948' show, neither of them were in that. Probably not Frost either. It couldn't be something that wasn't a sketch but part of lesser-known 'Ripping Yarns' episode or something?

Oh well, too late to look into it tonight...

Quote: Aaron @ September 21 2009, 2:01 AM BST

Tuumble, are you sure that that's a Python sketch? It doesn't sound very Complete And Utter History-y (https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/complete_utter_history_britain/) but it could be from one of the numerous other shows, or even an Amnesty performance or something?

I'm not 100% on it being Python but I'm as sure as I can be that it was Palin and Jones.