The Sitcom (TV Genres), book by Brett Mills

Since I have Mills' "Television Sitcom" book, and I like it, I consider buying this one as well.

Amazon description as follows:
Even though sitcom has been a consistent staple of broadcasting the world over, rigorous academic work on it as a genre remains limited. This book examines sitcom as an industry in terms of production, audiences and texts, drawing on a range of examples and case studies in order to examine the genre's characteristics, social position, and pleasures. In highlighting this long-lasting and popular form of television, it offers insights into genre theory and explores how the comic aim of sitcom forms a central characteristic of the genre. Brett Mills takes a global view of sitcom, examining international examples as well as those produced by the more dominant British and American broadcasting industries, in order to explore the relationships between sitcom, nation, and identity. Sitcoms considered include Extras, My Family, Curb Your Enthusiasm, One Foot in the Grave, Peep Show, Summer Heights High, Popetown, and Friends.

Key Features
*Draws on original research into the television industry, incorporating interviews with sitcom writers, directors and producers
*Includes research on audience responses to sitcom, with reference to offence, pleasure, and social change
*Offers detailed textual analyses of a range of programmes, drawing on Humour Theory to explore the ways in which jokes and comic moments work
*Outlines the future for sitcom, considering new media developments and the changing relationships between broadcasters and audiences.

See Amazon product listing

or,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0748637524/comedyguide-20

Doesn't look like the cover is as pretty as for Television Sitcom though. :)

But thanks, hadn't seen this one. Will probably need to add it to my reference collection.

Quote: Aaron @ September 17 2009, 12:08 PM BST

Doesn't look like the cover is as pretty as for Television Sitcom though. :)

I'm quite sure some of the people here will be put off by the cover, yes :)

Blimey - it's only been out for a week, and already Amazon have only 1 copy left. Either it's sold EXTREMELY well, or they really didn't have much faith in it at all!