Do you GROW? Page 52

Quote: zooo @ 5th July 2016, 10:34 AM BST

Watch out for hedgehogs and frogsssss!

Well they're perfectly safe for now, as I've just found out the cable isn't long enough to reach the bottom of my garden! So now I have to get an extension cable. Unimpressed

Have we stopped growing?
Ironically, last post is from pre-referendum days.
So anyone else getting their fingers dirty?
Or are we all waiting for Australia to send some food over?

This week I have been mostly watching an orchid die, as I have no idea how to look after it beyond the crude scribblings on the label.

They either live or die.
What you do has absolutely nothing to do with it.
My Mrs. keeps them in the bathroom and ignores them - about 50% of them live.

I tried to chit some Jersey Royals this year and none sprouted. They just rotted.
I've since read that all jerseys are irradiated, supposedly to give them a longer shelf life but there's a suspicion it's to stop what I tried to do.
I'd even rotted down a lot of seaweed to add to the soil (part of the secret ingredient in Jersey soil)
Ah well, random spuds are getting the benefit now.

Next time buy International's Kidney as seed potatoes. It's the same breed of spud they grow in Jersey.

I'll keep em in mind.
I grow potatoes in a 56 gallon barrel. A layer of muck, then spuds and another layer of muck.
When they sprout through the muck, I add another layer and sometimes more sprouting potatoes.
Each time they grow through it, I add another layer.
By Christmas the barrel is full to the top and I kick it over and collect them all.
Most are scoffed by the huge tribe that arrive for dinner

If you ever fancy something REALLY tasty - and a bit different - try these.

There called Anya - a bugger to peel, so want boiling, skins and all.
Best tasting spud, for my money.

"Digging" up this old thread - as we'll all have to be growing our own pretty soon.
Just divided up some supermarket bought basil to see us through till my own stuff comes through.
Best smell in the greenhouse.

That might be the best smell but I can't stand the smell of tomatoes growing. Uugh.
If I grow them, they are in a plastic tent. Even then I sometimes get a whiff.

I've had to forgo my grape crop for two years to extend the vine.
It's massive now. So this year I will be judiciously pruning it virtually every day.
I planted the vine over 20 years ago (from Woolworths lol) it was no bigger than a twig.
It's base now is thicker than my leg.
I won't tell you what I fed it on in its early days...some people are squeamish.

You growing it undercover or outside?

Agree re tomatoes - thinning out the side shoots requires an immediate hand wash.

The vine started in the corner of the greenhouse in the real ground.
Problem was, when the bunches of grapes grew, they hung down in the way of my head.
I dismantled that greenhouse and let the vine run free for a year. They put 100's of shoots out when not tended and no grapes.
It now runs around the garden wall and fence and is a nice feature.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th March 2022, 12:06 PM

Problem was, when the bunches of grapes grew, they hung down in the way of my head.

Called tea-bagging, I believe.

As the old saying goes, "why frequent Sainsbury's and bark yourself".

Have any veg growers out there noticed that the seed packets are a bit light this year?
I reckon most of mine are down by about 50%.
Same price, though - if not slightly higher.