Favourite ITV sitcom Page 4

Be interested to know if the Galton and Simpson Playhouse is available on DVD. Seem to remember Paul Merton made a respectful remake of some of them but when you consider original stars included Leonard Rossiter and Arthur Lowe I doubt if it was bettered.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 26 2009, 10:33 AM BST

Auf Weideresehen Pet.
Although that may come under a different category I suspect.

Oh yeah. I'd vote for that if it's allowed. I used to laugh at Chance in a Million. Wasn't that an ITV show?

Catweazle. Geoffrey Bayldon is woefully underappreciated on this site and elsewhere. Followed by Only When I Laugh, Love Thy Neighbour, Bless This House and George & Mildred.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 11:27 AM BST

Oh yeah. I'd vote for that if it's allowed. I used to laugh at Chance in a Million. Wasn't that an ITV show?

Great show, if only for the weid way the central character spoke.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 25 2009, 11:09 AM BST

Yes, probably the worst British sitcom of all time.

It actually got worse than Fresh Fields, with the follow-on sitcom French Fields.

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2009, 11:33 AM BST

Great show, if only for the weid way the central character spoke.

Yeah. Simon Callow. I have never seen it since it was first aired mind.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 26 2009, 11:38 AM BST

It actually got worse than Fresh Fields, with the follow-on sitcom French Fields.

I didn't mind either of those shows, and I can think of far, far worse. They were gentle, and Anton Rodgers has a likeable charm.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 11:39 AM BST

I don't think it's been repeated, and am not sure if it got a DVD release. It ran for three series, though. It also had Brenda Blethyn in. Not sure who the writer was, or if he did anything else of note.

I'm think it was a Channel 4 show.

Wasn't it a kind of a spoof of a sit-com in which Tom Chance would be placed into ridiculously contrived situations (a long lost relative of Curb your Enthusiasm?).

Can anyone remember any episodes?

Quote: youngian @ August 26 2009, 11:50 AM BST

I'm think it was a Channel 4 show.

Wasn't it a kind of a spoof of a sit-com in which Tom Chance would be placed into ridiculously contrived situations (a long lost relative of Curb your Enthusiasm?).

Can anyone remember any episodes?

I have a feeling it pre-dates Channel 4. Definitely ITV. I guess there are similarities with Curb, plot wise, although the dialogue was obviously much stagier and not in any way naturalistic.

Quote: youngian @ August 26 2009, 11:11 AM BST

Be interested to know if the Galton and Simpson Playhouse is available on DVD. Seem to remember Paul Merton made a respectful remake of some of them but when you consider original stars included Leonard Rossiter and Arthur Lowe I doubt if it was bettered.

[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/8079117/The-Galton-And-Simpson-Playhouse-The-Complete-Series/Product.html]

I've just checked.
Chance in a Million was Channel 4.
Broadcast in 1984 & 1986

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 26 2009, 12:58 PM BST

I've just checked.
Broadcast in 1984 & 1986

Ah. Who wrote it? My brother and I spent a week annoying everyone talking like Simon Callow's character Tom(was it?) Chance.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 1:00 PM BST

Ah. Who wrote it? My brother and I spent a week annoying everyone talking like Simon Callow's character Tom(was it?) Chance.

Fegen and Norriss wrote it I believe. They later created The Brittas Empire of course.

Quote: youngian @ August 26 2009, 11:11 AM BST

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/8079117/The-Galton-And-Simpson-Playhouse-The-Complete-Series/Product.html]
[h=917306]

I used to laugh at Chance in a Million. Wasn't that an ITV show?

Channel 4. But having adverts, they're more or less the same, so I'll allow it. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 11:39 AM BST

Peculiar show. It's alright, but I don't think it's really fared as well over time as some of its contemporaries.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 26 2009, 12:58 PM BST

I've just checked.

Sadly, I didn't need to check. :(

Quote: Aaron @ August 26 2009, 3:18 PM BST

Channel 4. But having adverts, they're more or less the same, so I'll allow it. :)

It isn't the same because I think Channel 4 have produced better sitcoms than ITV.