Favourite ITV sitcom Page 3

There was a sitcom about a cricket team I thought was alright. Outside Edge I believe it was called.

Yep, that's the one. Nice little show, if not a bit depressing at (most of the) times.

I remember it as more comedy drama than sitcom. Quality product, mind.

I stand corrected, Chip. Brenda Blethyn doing what Brenda Blethyn does best.

Quote: Clockface @ August 25 2009, 5:15 PM BST

I stand corrected, Chip. Brenda Blethyn doing what Brenda Blethyn does best.

A funny show, though. And you don't get many of them to the pound on ITV these days...

That said, we'd be remiss not to mention Moving Wallpaper, which was generally excellent. And one of the highlights of the last few years.

Quote: chipolata @ August 25 2009, 9:55 AM BST

The last ITV sitcom I really enjoyed would have to be the much underated Is It Legal? by Simon Nye. A great little show that never got the recognition it deserved.

Yes, I liked that. Not a big fan of Patrick Barlow, but I quite fancied the young(er) Imelda Staunton, while Richard Lumdsen, Jeremy Clyde and Kate Isitt are all good comedy turns, and with Simon Nye you are guarnateed a few laughs.

You fancied Imelda Staunton, but no mention of Kate Isitt?

Although perhaps she's a bit more dirty than fanciable.

But still... :O

she was great in Coupling

Episode 1 of Shelley is on YouTube. I think it is worth a watch to decide should I buy the first series or not.

I've bought the first two series but not watched any yet. Always worth trying something out. From the couple of clips I've seen elsewhere, I do suspect you'll enjoy it.

Yes, apparently it is meant to be very much like Hancock's Half Hour.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 25 2009, 9:10 PM BST

Yes, apparently it is meant to be very much like Hancock's Half Hour.

Yes, as I recall that's how it was 'marketed'.

To quote Carter . . Ay . . well . . umm

Hmmm...tough one. I'll list several, if rules permit so, since I cannot decide on one.

Rising Damp... I bought the DVD set a while ago, having seen only the first few episodes (it was cheap), but never got around watching any more. Few weeks ago I dug it out and...sat mesmerized. It does seem like one man show, though - I cannot take my eyes of ... err, I almost said Reginald Perrin ;)

The New Statesman - I think it goes over the top too much, and I'm certainly no fan of slapstick things. But it's very good nonetheless.

Agony - I seem to be the only one who likes it here. I get some intelligent vibe from it, and I like the quick pace and the retorts of hapless protagonist. Give it a try, people. The DVDs are out, btw.

Only When I Laugh, George & Mildred, Is It Legal? and Whoops! Apocalypse are all great. Mind Your Language was a one-trick, pony, true, but I liked it nonetheless.

Auf Weideresehen Pet.
Although that may come under a different category I suspect.

Quote: WrongTale @ August 26 2009, 10:22 AM BST

Agony - I seem to be the only one who likes it here. I get some intelligent vibe from it, and I like the quick pace and the retorts of hapless protagonist. Give it a try, people. The DVDs are out, btw.

Had a great theme tune I think.