Fantasy BBC Comedy Commissioner Thread

So, the job of Head of BBC TV's Comedy Commissioning is soon to be filled. If you were given the job, what would you commission? This can be either a specific show or a type of show. Could even be yours. If there were particular shows you hated, but were popular such as 'My Family', would you axe them regardless of general popularity?

First, I would make sure Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle gets a second series.

I would commission a similar show from Jerry Sadowitz.

Produce a show at the weekend similar to the USA's Saturday Night Live.

Axe anything involving Caroline Quentin.

Go on, you have a go. But remember, it's just for fun.

(PS. Could a mod please shove this into General Discussion. Ta.)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 20 2009, 10:23 AM BST

But remember, it's just for fun.

Already I don't care for this thread.

Quote: chipolata @ August 20 2009, 10:25 AM BST

Already I don't care for this thread.

Sorry, I mean, it's not for fun, it's actually very serious and important industry figures will take note of it, and that.

I'd recommission According To Bex for no other reason than to demonstrate my powers to the comedy world and make them fear me.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 20 2009, 10:27 AM BST

I'd recommission According To Bex for no other reason than to demonstrate my powers to the comedy world and make them fear me.

Pervert.

I'd commission the current sitcom I'm writing, "The Old Man and the Future."

Quote: chipolata @ August 20 2009, 10:29 AM BST

I'd commission the current sitcom I'm writing, "The Old Man and the Future."

BBC1, 2, 3 or 4?

(All of them, silly.)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 20 2009, 10:30 AM BST

BBC1, 2, 3 or 4?

BBC 2. It's intelligent, but with nurturing could appeal to a mainstream audience.

I'd also recommission a second series of Help and f**k the tabloid storm that would follow.

And I'd close down BBC Three and put all that money into BBC Four, and see what projects they could come up with.

And, naturally, the classic second series of Lab Rats.

I wouldn't officially cancel Two Pints... or Coming Of Age, I'd just never allow them to be made again. Or I'd have them filmed, but then destroy the tapes.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 20 2009, 10:37 AM BST

And, naturally, the classic second series of Lab Rats.

You know what, I might. But I'd sack Chris Addison and replace him with a more gifted comic actor. And I'd bring in someone like Graham Linehan to beef up the scripts.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 20 2009, 10:40 AM BST

I wouldn't officially cancel Two Pints... or Coming Of Age, I'd just never allow them to be made again.

I'd let them be made again, but in the BBC's new Bagdad branch.

I'd give Tim Walker a sitcom, on the condition that he has to co-write it with Susan Nickson.

Quote: chipolata @ August 20 2009, 10:40 AM BST

You know what, I might. But I'd sack Chris Addison and replace him with a more gifted comic actor. And I'd bring in someone like Graham Linehan to beef up the scripts.

:) That's good.

Quote: Leevil @ August 20 2009, 10:43 AM BST

I'd give Tim Walker a sitcom, on the condition that he has to co-write it with Susan Nickson.

It would never work. There'd be too much pent-up sexual tension in the writing room.

Yeah, I'd film that and it would be the real show ;)