Fawlty Towers: Best Guest Page 4

Quote: Bad dog @ August 15 2009, 2:20 PM BST

Could you afford it, Jack? ;)

Pre the credit crunch and when I was living at home with my parents. ;)

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 1:59 PM BST

No, I'm against things being cut from DVDs- everything should be shown, but all I'm saying is that Cleese probably wishes he didn't write it in. He probably thought nothing of it in 1975, but probably regrets it when he watches it now and if he could turn the clock back, he'd probably not have put it in, as it effects the impeccable timelessness of Fawlty Towers.

I really don't think that it does. There'll always be people, especially ex-servicemen, who use cruder, less PC terms. That Basil makes the "Come now, Major" comment (or whatever it was exactly) probably puts it more in context with what would happen now, than what would have happened then. I mean, someone as rude as Basil in the 1970s taking exception to the words "nigger" or "wog" doesn't entirely fit, does it?

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2009, 3:45 PM BST

I really don't think that it does. There'll always be people, especially ex-servicemen, who use cruder, less PC terms. That Basil makes the "Come now, Major" comment (or whatever it was exactly) probably puts it more in context with what would happen now, than what would have happened then. I mean, someone as rude as Basil in the 1970s taking exception to the words "nigger" or "wog" doesn't entirely fit, does it?

Remember Basil's reaction to the African doctor too. It's a fair reflection of many British people then and now.

The doctor episode is hilaaarious. Also his reactions to the bossy old nurse. Heh.

I just remembered a paperboy who appeared once. He really stood out as a bad actor to me at the time, not sure if he would now, haven't seen that episode again yet.

I watched the whole series back to back on a coach trip to Spain. Trufax! And the Cribbinsmeister for me With Mr Palmer a close second.

He wasn't a guest and I don't think the actor was that famous but the Irish builder in the first episode was brillaint.

Second episode Sebastian. David Kelly in The Builders. Yes, very good guest appearance. He is a well respected actor, he appeared in Robin's Nest and the 2005 film of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He was great in The Builders.

"If the Good Lord wanted us to worry, he'd give us things to worry about. If the Good Lord..."
(Basil interrupts) "...Is mentioned once more, I will move you closer to him."

O'Reilly had a perfect air of fecklessness about him. Really well played. Very similar to Wobbly Ron in Cowboys as well.

Quote: Badge @ August 14 2009, 11:15 PM BST

I'm with the OP. Mrs Richards.

Another vote on this one from me. Genuinely hilarious - possibily my favourite comedy episode in the history of British comedy.

Quote: Badge @ August 14 2009, 11:15 PM BST

I also have a soft spot for the blonde Australian woman with the dodgy light switch.

She had two very good soft spots.

Geoffrey Palmer.

Definitely Mrs Richards, when she's complaining about the view it just cracks me up!!

Basil's double take at the African Dr was a very funny moment.

For me the Major is the best guest especially after he had a few and thinks the Moose head is talking to him (my ingleeesh is vairy good).

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 1:59 PM BST

No, I'm against things being cut from DVDs- everything should be shown, but all I'm saying is that Cleese probably wishes he didn't write it in. He probably thought nothing of it in 1975, but probably regrets it when he watches it now and if he could turn the clock back, he'd probably not have put it in, as it effects the impeccable timelessness of Fawlty Towers.

Why should he regret it? He and Booth (I imagine) had a liberal conscience in the 70s as well as now, so I think they would have been well aware what they were doing in that scene. Unless you're saying that Cleese/Booth were ignorant racists when they wrote it? (Which I'm certain you're not.)

The joke was on bigots of the Major's age and ilk. The use of the words "wogs" and "niggers" were as part of a great punchline to a diversionary joke. The main thrust of the joke was that there could be a "right" and a "wrong" way to insult a race. I certainly don't think it diminishes the episode in any way. It wouldn't be appropriate to use those words now (despite the obvious reasons) because the satirical context of that joke is no longer really relevant. But it is quite suitable for its time. :)

Quote: Aaron @ August 14 2009, 7:54 PM BST

Yep.

As far as I remember, anyway.

No, no no!

He was there at the start of the episode ordering a drink from the bar and saying he rather fancied some sausages.

SYBIL: Oh, I'm afraid chef will have locked them away. We can do you sandwiches...

That was even before Mr Lehman showed up alive let alone dead.