Fawlty Towers: Best Guest Page 3

What's Nancy Sinatra got to do with anything ?

Errr

Mrs. Richards. No doubt. :)

"Is this a piece of your brain?" :D

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2009, 1:36 AM BST

Yes, he did. Bless you. :)

It was the w word as I recall.

Mrs. Richards.

I quite liked Bernard Cribbin's appearance too.

The great Joan Sanderson as Mrs. Richards.

Bernard Cribbins - "It's not as if I ordered an elephant's ear on a bun, is it?"

Or Mr Hamilton (Waldorf Salad)

Quote: shaggy292 @ August 15 2009, 11:50 AM BST

Or Mr Hamilton (Waldorf Salad)

Everythings bottoms with him isn't it.

Quote: Badge @ August 15 2009, 10:34 AM BST

It was the w word as I recall.

If you mean "wogs", he used both.

Interesting moment that, it is probably the most timeless sitcom of all time and then that happened in one episode. I bet looking back, Cleese really regrets putting it in.

Why? Because namby pamby liberals moan about the slightest hint of anything mildly offensive to just one person now? That's exactly the kind of attitude that gets shows slashed to pieces for DVD release. It was perfectly reflective of the era and of the character and his age. I seem to recall Basil saying something like "Steady on, Major!" in response to it. If I was Cleese, and even stopped to consider it for a moment, I'd be proud to have it in there.

Geoffrey Palmer for me.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2009, 12:35 PM BST

Why? Because namby pamby liberals moan about the slightest hint of anything mildly offensive to just one person now? That's exactly the kind of attitude that gets shows slashed to pieces for DVD release. It was perfectly reflective of the era and of the character and his age. I seem to recall Basil saying something like "Steady on, Major!" in response to it. If I was Cleese, and even stopped to consider it for a moment, I'd be proud to have it in there.

No, I'm against things being cut from DVDs- everything should be shown, but all I'm saying is that Cleese probably wishes he didn't write it in. He probably thought nothing of it in 1975, but probably regrets it when he watches it now and if he could turn the clock back, he'd probably not have put it in, as it effects the impeccable timelessness of Fawlty Towers.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 1:59 PM BST

... Cleese probably wishes he didn't write it in... probably regrets it when he watches it now and if he could turn the clock back, he'd probably not have put it in, as it effects the impeccable timelessness of Fawlty Towers.

I doubt it.

*affects

EDIT: Best guest, perhaps the boy complained that the chips were awful because they were the wrong shape. And Mr Twitchen, and the Aussie girl. And Geoffrey Palmer. And Bernard Cribbins. And "Don't be a fool Stephanie!"

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 12:09 AM BST

Mine too. I've actually without thinking gone to a bar and ordered that.

Could you afford it, Jack? ;)

All this shows what you get when you have a good script, with good character actors playing the parts. I couldn't pick one 'guest', as I enjoyed so many of them.

Reading this thread makes me want to go and watch the episodes now. The mark of a top show.

I was watching the one with the dead body and the pampered dog on G.O.L.D. yesterday, and either there was some bad editing done by that station, or the plot didn't work quite right. The dog gets bad spicy sausages and is 'poisoned', and the dead man gets given the out-of-date kippers, and Basil is petrified of being prosecuted; but the two weren't linked together in that particular broadcast. At no point did Basil imagine that the dog had been poisoned by the same thing that dead man had had. Without that happening, the whole dog part became redundant. Can anyone remember if they were originally linked?