The Thick Of It - Series 2

I guess we start a new thread? And also I wanted to start it cos there is a tendency for new threads to all have question marks in them ('Thick of It -- Series 2???') which is incredibly irritating for us anal posters...

Anyway, Armando talks series 2 briefly: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/blog/tubetalk/

I heard this and get *ridiculously* excited waiting for it. It's probably my favourite current sitcom, I reckon.

Dan

I've never seen The Thick Of It.

I must say, I thought that there already had been a second series. :/

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 13 2009, 11:31 AM BST

I've never seen The Thick Of It.

You'd probably enjoy it.

It's kind of like Yes Minister but with swearing rather than clever. Very much in the vein of The Office.

I'm now watching episode 1 on YouTube

Quote: Aaron @ August 13 2009, 11:56 AM BST

I say 'second series' in the loosest sense, as the first three episodes were the 'first' series. However, I believe Armando Iannucci got some money from no-budget BBC Four to make a pilot and, for that cash, he went and made three episodes instead. (Probably creating the BBC Four '3-episode-run' that is now getting popular. Then, the next three episodes were probably the 'second' series. Then, the specials, weren't a series as such, but were longer than either of those first two series.

Anyway, the six episodes on the first DVD are called 'The Complete First Series' and the next DVD was 'The Specials'. So, I have decreed in my wisdom, that this will be the official 'Series 2'. Which has eight episodes, to further confound the issue.

EDIT: Also, like a pillock, I have put this in the wrong forum. Can you move please, Aaron?

Dan

Will do. I hadn't actually noticed it was in the wrong forum!

Andddd yeah, I think that peculiarly short run should count as an entire 'first' series. As odd and sometimes annoying as so few episodes are.

My crappy computer isn't loading the link to the interview. I am guessing that Chris Langham won't be returning. I am not sure if it would be a good thing or not I reckon the second series will be consderably less funny without him.

Well, according to this place, which apparently, is some 'official guide' or something https://www.comedy.co.uk/thick_of_it/episodes.shtml this is the third series.

However, Digital Spy and Wikipedia claim it will be the second series.

imdb thinks this is the third series, but counts the first six as series one, and the specials as series two!

Guardian thinks it's third too: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/27/thick-of-it-rebecca-front

So, in summary, <shrugs>

Maybe I do need a question mark after series 2 after all!

Dan

Hmm. Well, it appears that the BBC have decided that the six episodes are one series (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/12_december/08/thick.shtml), which explains the DVD. But to any audience member watching, it's got to be two series. Tricky.

Quote: Aaron @ August 13 2009, 11:56 AM BST

Yes. I tend to count those two one hour specials as the second series.

Details of the new series (whether it is two or three is still up for debate) have been posted by the BBC Press Office.

The Thick Of It Ep 1/6
New series Interactive TV High Definition programme
Unplaced
Day and time to be confirmed BBC TWO

James Smith plays Glenn, Chris Addison plays Ollie, Rebecca Front plays Nicola, Peter Capaldi plays Malcolm and Joanna Scanlan plays Terri James Smith, Chris Addison, Rebecca Front, Peter Capaldi and Joanna Scanlan are in The Thick Of It

Armando Iannucci's political comedy returns for a new series and begins on "Reshuffle Day" at No. 10. Nicola Murray is so far down the list of prospective ministers that Malcolm Tucker doesn't even have a file on her. But when the job at the Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship is turned down by everybody else, there's no option but to promote her to the Cabinet.

The downside is that Nicola is very keen. She also has expensive ideas and ideals; a husband who works for a company that has government contracts; an 11-year-old about to go to a private school; and she's about to face the media at a crucial by-election poster launch. Suddenly, Malcolm's got a file that's getting a bit too big for comfort. Something will have to be done.

Malcolm is played by Peter Capaldi, Nicola by Rebecca Front, Ollie by Chris Addison, Terri by Joanna Scanlan and Glenn by James Smith.

The Thick Of It is simulcast on the BBC HD channel – the BBC's High Definition channel, available through Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media.

Two Thick Of It specials can be seen again on BBC Four on 19 and 23 October.

Please note: An interview with some of the cast members will appear in Programme Information shortly.

I thought this one had eight episodes :(

Still, it's back anyway :)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 8 2009, 3:26 PM BST

I thought this one had eight episodes :(

Still, it's back anyway :)

Dan

It could be that there are two specials again.

I do like Rebecca Front. I especially liked her in Knowing Me, Knowing You, as the American singer and the mousey horsewoman (I know she was other characters, but those stood out for me). She'll be a great addition to the show.

We're classing the new episodes as series 3, so I'm going to close this for a bit to curb erroneous posting.