The Other One

Has anyone else seen this sitcom. The first series was released on DVD about two years ago, but the second and final series never followed. I brought the first series today and watched the first episode- it seemed pretty good to me.

Never heard of it. Who is in it?

Richard Briers and Michael Gambon.

I've had the DVD for a while, but not got around to watching it yet. I guess that they didn't think sales were high enough to release further. Might put it on tomorrow, now you've mentioned it.

I think you'd like it Aaron.

I recall it as being a very uncomfortable sitcom to watch. It was Briers first sitcom after The Good Life and everyone was expecting another Tom Good, instead they got perhaps the least likeable character in the history of sitcom. The joke was that everyone could see what a bullshitting loser Briers was, apart from the amiable but dull Gambon, who was so naive he was taken in by him, invariably with disastrous consequences.

Yes, largely agree with that Timbo. I've got through the main part of the series now, and although it's not awful, there are few laughs, and not enough warmth to it. I can certainly understand why the second hasn't been released.

I disagree Aaron. I think it has some fine comic value.

I got around to watching the final two episodes last night, and have to say that it improved markedly upon their return to England. Nice to see the contexts of the characters, particularly Ralph. Based on that gear change I'm more interested in seeing the second series, but it'd have to be splendiforous of near Fawlty Towers proportions if I were to begin to think of it as as 'classic', lost or not. The first five episodes were just too dry for my tastes.

I've not got round to the last two episodes yet, but hope to do so tonight. I liked it in Spain. I paticulary enjoyed episode 5 when they returned back to England. I'm a lone wolf old man.

Finished the first series now and was very impressed.

Richard Briers, who is the best comedy actor still living in my books, was supposed to be doing his last theatre run in the West End later in the year, in Beckett's Endgame. And now he isn't doing it. Bugger.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 17 2009, 3:02 PM BST

Richard Briers, who is the best comedy actor still living in my books, was supposed to be doing his last theatre run in the West End later in the year, in Beckett's Endgame. And now he isn't doing it. Bugger.

And still no proper explanation as to why.

Quote: chipolata @ August 17 2009, 3:22 PM BST

And still no proper explanation as to why.

I think the other lead in the show pulled out, and he was the only reason why Briers was doing it.

Shame. I would have gone to this. It would have been my theatre trip for the year.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 17 2009, 3:23 PM BST

I think the other lead in the show pulled out, and he was the only reason why Briers was doing it.

Shame. I would have gone to this. It would have been my theatre trip for the year.

Save up and go down the pub instead. ;)