Has anyone mentioned Doc Martin yet?

I mean, let's face it, it's shite. But I might not get it. I'm struggling to learn what sort of comedy it is. It seems like a sitcom in parts then it goes into shite drama. What sort of programme is this supposed to be?

Anyone ever seen it? I think I've caught about two episodes of it and it's bored me to tears. I want that hour of my life back.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what show you're talking about.

It's the one with Martin Clunes. He's in a sort of seaside/rural town. Premise "A big city doctor goes to a seaside rural town to practice". So he gets attitude with all these characters and their strange out of town local ways.

It's crap.

Doc Martin. I like it. :P

Sorry, Doc Martin. I still don't get the appeal, I'm obviously missing something about it.

AAAh, I get it now, been reading up on it in Wikipedia. It's like a British version of Frasier without the canned laughter and with more drama thrown in.

But then again; I could never really get into Frasier.

Oh well.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 25 2009, 12:49 PM BST

Yeah, it's great. Can't wait for series four! :)

What an original premise for a show. They should make it a movie, imagine a film about a small town DOCtor made in HOLLYWOOD.

In a way, Doc Martin is sort of reminiscent of All Creatures Great and Small, except James Herriot has become Mr Grumpy. And he's a human doctor, not an animal doctor. And it is less funny - partly because there's no Tristan, and partly because the romantic drama is often so forced that it becomes cloying. Nonetheless, it can help to alleviate the excruciating emptiness of existence. In small doses.

I remember when Martin Clunes used to do good stuff.

Clunes is always watchable. But in answer to teh original question it is a comedy drama. There are about half a dozen showing on the main channels in a typical week, and a fair proportion of those are fish out of water meets eccentric locals, so where is the confusion?

Shows like this are just churned out the TV drama factory where MOR is a virtue. ITV (especially) deserves to reap all the shit it has sown. Aspiring to mediocrity and underestimating their audience has ultimately led to the parlous state they find themselves in.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 25 2009, 12:49 PM BST

Me too. :$

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2009, 5:17 PM BST

Me too. :$

Not saying that Doc Martin is a bad show necessarily, it's just a very generic show, of which ITV has become guilty of producing in spades. To be fair, so has the BBC.

Oh, by the way, any fans of the award-winning The Street? Sorry but there is apparently not going to be another series of this. Although it is shown on BBC, it is jointly produced with ITV and they have only offered to fund a new series at a reduced budget. Jimmy McGovern has apparently (and reasonably) declined this invitation.

I loved The Street. The first series aired here on BBC America and nothing more was ever shown. Hopefully we'll get to see the rest.

You'll have two more series to look forward to. :)