Grandad or Uncle Albert? Page 3

Pleased

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 23 2009, 2:36 AM BST

Lennard was certainly involved in more of the classic moments and episodes, such as the "chandelier" episode and 'Freddie The Frog'.

But even if he wasn't he'd still be better. I reckon if he had stayed alive OFAH would have been even more popular. One of the reasons that I am not keen on Albert is the catchphrase. I think it is a really good one coz it shows a lot about his character, but it was used too much and just made him too one dimensional. Also the fact Buster had a comedy beard makes the character seem less real.

It was hiding his unusually small head.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 23 2009, 2:43 AM BST

But even if he wasn't he'd still be better. I reckon if he had stayed alive OFAH would have been even more popular. One of the reasons that I am not keen on Albert is the catchphrase. I think it is a really good one coz it shows a lot about his character, but it was used too much and just made him too one dimensional. Also the fact Buster had a comedy beard makes the character seem less real.

Comedy beard? It was real, and rather fitting for the old-sea-dog stereotype he was meant to embody.

And I'd be quite interested to know just how you think OFAH could get any more popular than it is (or was)?!

Global domination!

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2009, 4:25 AM BST

Comedy beard? It was real, and rather fitting for the old-sea-dog stereotype he was meant to embody.

And I'd be quite interested to know just how you think OFAH could get any more popular than it is (or was)?!

Yeah I know this was real but I still felt like a comedy prop. I reckon if Grandad was in it for all of the run then it would have been less cartoonish and it might have more credibility with people who are into more sophisticated comedy, I agree it wouldn't have made much differnet in terms of general popularity.

For the last hour I've been trying to choose between Grandad and Uncle Albert but cannot make my mind up as they were both great in their own ways!

The one thing I have always remembered about the late, great Lennard Pearce was something he said shortly after VHS had been invented. He said that due to this invention he would never die. And he was absolutely right, even now VHS has been and gone he is immortalised in DVD discs all over the place. :)

Wii-man!! Wave

Grandad by a mile. A far better actor in my opinion having said that it must be so hard for someone like Merryfield to follow such a well loved character. Think Tony Blair and Gordon Brown :)

Uncle Albert. Not to take anything away from Len Pierce though who was fantastic. I just thought the episodes with Albert were better.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 28 2009, 12:38 PM BST

Uncle Albert. Not to take anything away from Len Pierce though who was fantastic. I just thought the episodes with Albert were better.

Of course you're wrong and are probably too young to actually have your own opinions. :P

:) One person's opinion can never be wrong

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 28 2009, 3:16 PM BST

:) One person's opinion can never be wrong

In my opinion , you're wrong.

:D

I liked them both, but the whoppers uncle Albert told to Del made me laugh.

Both as awful as each other but if I was forced at gun point to choose I'd say Uncle Albert.