The Now Show Page 2

Quote: Aldeem @ June 14 2011, 1:17 PM BST

Apparently Sir James Savile is set to be the new producer of the next series. It's going to be called the 'Now Then Now Then Show'.

Surely they'll just get Hugh Dennis to impersonate Sir Jimmy.

I've got a lot of time for Punt and Dennis, but overall the only relevant irony to be found in the Now Show is in its name, since it is becoming increasingly dated, not only with references which are now several decades old, but also with done-to-death subjects, like this week's horsemeat sketch. Also, in typical BBC fashion, we so often have to endure middle-class "outrage on behalf of others", like this week's group of men singing about women's issues; better surely to have women singing about it?

The Now Show isn't satirical. It's more like a gang show with topical news as its theme. I haven't even listened to this run, as the past 5 series have all been a slog, I just gave up.

I've got really fond memories of Punt and Dennis from their sketch shows in the early 90s. But this has to be the least ambitious current affairs comedy show that has ever made it to broadcast.

I love the now show. Several laugh out loud gags. Would suggest any newsjack would-be contributors listen

Was that our very own Tony Cowards credited on episode 4 as ,'additional material by'? :O

Quote: Will Cam @ March 12 2013, 9:44 AM GMT

Was that our very own Tony Cowards credited on episode 4 as ,'additional material by'? :O

Erm...yes it was, I was also a guest writer on the previous episode.

:)

What Jokes were yours?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 13 2013, 1:21 PM GMT

What Jokes were yours?

Off the top of my head, in last week's episode my stuff included the "Time Warp" sketch/song (although with plenty of added bits from the cast) and the "splitting RBS" joke, not sure if there were any other bits and pieces.

It was a very writer heavy episode (the writers meeting was a bit cramped and they ran out of chairs!) so I was happy to get anything on.

Quote: Snafu @ March 9 2013, 6:04 PM GMT

The Now Show isn't satirical. It's more like a gang show with topical news as its theme.

Roy Hudd is still alive.

They ought to bring him back to front this shower of shite.....

My mistake.....

Writing
Colin and the writers meet every week to decide the topics that will form the main sections of the show performed by Steve and Hugh. They look through the week's papers to see what's dominating the news and suggest ideas. Audiences respond well to good topical references so it is worth getting the idea right. It's the producer's job to say whether the conversation is leading to a topic that the writers can work with or just an enjoyable diversion!

Reading
On the recording day the cast all meet up for the table read, where they read through the script for the first time. This is a chance for the cast to familiarise themselves with the script - they'll only have two opportunities to read it through before they perform it live with an audience.

The producer's role is to cast an eye over the monologues written by single performers on the show, such as Jon Holmes. The cast have the freedom to be creative and will try and get away with as much as they can, but it's up to the producer to make sure it complies with editorial policy.

Rehearsal
The rehearsal is a chance for the comedians to perform the show as they would for the recording, allowing them to get their timings right and know where cues are for sound effects and music. It also gives the sound engineers a chance to practice sound effects and music cues, and allows Colin to make last minute changes to the script.

Recording
The producer goes on stage at the start of the show to welcome the audience and to set up the show. "Even doing this warm up bit as the producer you'll sometimes get laughs and immediately you can feel that this crowd's really up for it." says Colin. " Usually the good shows are the shows where it's been like that from the start."

During the recording, Colin will sit in the production booth with two studio engineers controlling the desk and recording the show. His job is not only to enjoy the show but to look out for the edits, ticking parts of the script where there are big laughs. Not everything makes the final cut however. Once finished Colin will take away a copy of the recording and his notes ready for the edit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/collegeofproduction/videos/radio/the_now_show

It sounds like a load of tired old shite....but a lot of work goes into making it sound like a load of tired old shite.

I really like it. I usually listen to it via headphones when I take the dog for a walk which can be embarrassing when I laugh out loud.

Don't they call the weekday 6.30pm slot the 'cooking their dinner' slot?

i.e. keep it light and simple.

They've certainly fulfilled that remit.

Why did they allow that guest to do a piece of her routine which even she says wasn't funny and had no jokes in, with the excuse that some things are too serious for that? I tune in to hear comedy, not sanctimony, so if it's not suitable for jokes, do something else.

I love this show, but Hugh Dennis needs to decide if he is doing it or not. Not really sure if Jon Culshaw should replace him.

This week's was both disappointing and puzzling. The opening sounded very underwritten, especially the sketch about not investigating crimes in the 70s, which was just one joke repeated, and the joke itself not even bring funny. This was followed by one of the unfunniest guests I can remember, and things didn't improve from there. The piece on Eno was informative, but rarely attempted humour, and then there was that section on doping which wasn't even supposed to be funny, unless they were hoping humour would somehow erupt from it, which didn't happen.
It can't be that hard for to comedians to write a few cycling gags, surely.