The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 737

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th April 2022, 11:39 AM

Good to see Fulham go up.
Some juicy derbies on the way.

Like the Brentford one you mean? (Sorry. I'm a Blue too!)

Quote: Chappers @ 20th April 2022, 8:32 PM

(Sorry. I'm a Blue too!)

Quote: Chappers @ 4th April 2022, 11:11 AM

Yes! And we were seconds from winning it too.

Also Tim Vine and Paul Chuckle being driven into Wembley Stadium...

I do wish you'd decide who you support!

You might see some vertical blue and white stripes too.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th April 2022, 8:40 PM

I do wish you'd decide who you support!

It is difficult nowadays because Chelsea were always my favourite League team and Sutton were my favourite Non-League team.

I think supporting two teams is OK, especially if they are unlikely to come into contact.
I'm Chelsea first, but with a nod to Shrewsbury Town (League One) and Hereford FC - formerly Utd (National League North).
Both local teams.

Tonight, Huddersfield Town play Barnsley. Not much of a match to none supporters but crucial to followers.
Not only is it a local derby but if Barnsley lose, they are definitely demoted and if Town win they are definitely at least in the play-offs for the Premier League.
Automatic promotion is not off the table.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st April 2022, 7:37 PM

It is difficult nowadays because Chelsea were always my favourite League team and Sutton were my favourite Non-League team.

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd April 2022, 10:21 AM

I think supporting two teams is OK, especially if they are unlikely to come into contact.

I had the same problem in my formative years. Tottenham was my father's team and therefore my league team. Wimbledon were my local side and, at that time, my non-league team. I went to whichever team was playing at home that week.

However, it became clear in the mid-seventies, when I started attending more and more away games, that I would have to make a choice. And I chose Wimbledon as they were my local team and the one at which I met up with all my mates on a Saturday afternoon/Tuesday evening. And it's a good job I did make a choice because, 10 years later they were playing each other on a regular basis and built up quite a rivalry (with Vinnie Jones, John Fashanu & Graham Roberts all being sent off in early encounters - Roberts receiving a red card while being carried off on a stretcher). It would have been impossible to support both teams at the same time.

It turns out that maybe that I made the wrong choice though since the team I chose up and left me for pastures new. Loyalty should be a two-way thing (Many people move away from their boyhood clubs; not many clubs move away from their supporters).

So I'm now left with (my current local team) Littlehampton. Who'd have thought I'd be going to Wembley with them in the FA Vase next month? Indeed who'd have thought, in the mid-70s, I'd have been going to the FA Cup Final with Wimbledon? Maybe any non-league side with unlikely Wembley aspirations should think about engaging me as a supporter.

... Of course my other "favourite" team is the Scottish Lowland League side who appear in the early rounds of the Scottish Cup every year, Civil Service Strollers. Because that' exactly what I was for almost 50 years.

Well that Man City Real Madrid Semi final 1st leg was a cracker.
City should be kicking themselves though they should have won by 3 or 4

I like the fact that Joey Barton, of all people, was urging the Bristol Rovers supporters to behave themselves.

Also unfair that, due to a pitch invasion, Bristol Rovers' game ended 25 minutes after all the rest - so they knew exactly what they needed to do to go up. They should be docked a point.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th May 2022, 5:17 PM

I like the fact that Joey Barton, of all people, was urging the Bristol Rovers supporters to behave themselves.

Also unfair that, due to a pitch invasion, Bristol Rovers' game ended 25 minutes after all the rest - so they knew exactly what they needed to do to go up. They should be docked a point.

Barton of course is the epitome of sportsmanship.

By the way we will have a couple of local derbies next season. Someone said that this will be the first time Wimbledon and Sutton United will play each other in league games (although it seems doubtful to me).

Quote: Chappers @ 8th May 2022, 6:52 PM

By the way we will have a couple of local derbies next season. Someone said that this will be the first time Wimbledon and Sutton United will play each other in league games (although it seems doubtful to me).

I suppose it depends which league. And which Wimbledon.

They used to play each other regularly in the Isthmian League up to 1964, when Wimbledon left the amateur ranks and went into the Southern League.

If you're treating Wimbledon's current incarnation separately, I suppose it will depend whether their paths met in the Isthmian League between 2004 - 2008 or in the same division of the Conference 2008 - 2011. Quite possibly not.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th May 2022, 7:31 PM

I suppose it depends which league. And which Wimbledon.

They used to play each other regularly in the Isthmian League up to 1964, when Wimbledon left the amateur ranks and went into the Southern League.

If you're treating Wimbledon's current incarnation separately, I suppose it will depend whether their paths met in the Isthmian League between 2004 - 2008 or in the same division of the Conference 2008 - 2011. Quite possibly not.

I think Sutton were in the Athenian league then.

Watching the Annan Athletic v Edinburgh City play-off 2nd leg on BBC Alba.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th May 2022, 8:19 PM

Watching the Annan Athletic v Edinburgh City play-off 2nd leg on BBC Alba.

Was it good or did you fall asleep?