The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 711

Sincerely so sad to see that the father of Liverpool goalkeeper Alison Becker has drowned.

However apparently Alison's brother is Muriel!

(Johnny Cash anyone?)

RIP Glenn Roeder.

Only 65 but had a brain tumour.

I do like Women's foootball and watch it from time to time but I don't think that this is a good advert for their game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56368475

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th February 2021, 10:40 AM

Zaha is saying he will not "take the knee" anymore, his reasons being perfectly valid, and I say "Good on him". The point has been made, so let's move on as it is verging on the farcical.

He says he will instead, "Stand Tall". Amen to that. Good man.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/18/wilfried-zaha-declares-he-will-stop-taking-a-knee-crystal-palace

And he was as good as his word on his first start since. On his own.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th March 2021, 4:33 PM

And he was as good as his word on his first start since. On his own.

But NOT because "the point has been made and lets move on".
Quite the opposite, in fact.

What opposite?

He think its no longer effective ( ie point NOT been made)
And that racism is still rampant in football and more action is needed (so NOT time to move on).
His words (approx), not mine

But it's not rampant. So don't go attributing his words as your own thoughts.
Do you, or did you go to actual football matches?
I've been going for 50 years and once it was rampant.
If anyone shouts anything racist they are pointed out to the stewards and removed.
We are all for the saying kick racism out and abide by it.
But the BLM are not nice people. - and that is his point.
They are triggered racists themselves.

So kick racism out of football and f**k the BLM

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th March 2021, 7:30 PM

But the BLM are not nice people - and that is his point.

It's not even close to what his point is.

From a personal point of view the unbelievable seems to be happening.

Sutton United who I have supported more than off since 1966 seem to be on the verge of becoming an EFL team. They won 1-0 tonight at Chesterfield who util recently were a league team themselves and have been grinding these results week in, week out. They are 6 points ahead of the second placed team Hartlepool with 3 games in hand and grinding out 9 wins, 3 draw and 2 defeats this year.

I have got very mixed feelings about this. I love them doing well in the National League but I'm not really sure we can compete in the next level up. I'd rather do well at this level than we get totally destroyed in the league.

Is that why you always give up in the BCG Fantasy football league?

Quote: Chappers @ 16th March 2021, 10:16 PM

From a personal point of view the unbelievable seems to be happening.

Sutton United who I have supported more than off since 1966 seem to be on the verge of becoming an EFL team. They won 1-0 tonight at Chesterfield who util recently were a league team themselves and have been grinding these results week in, week out. They are 6 points ahead of the second placed team Hartlepool with 3 games in hand and grinding out 9 wins, 3 draw and 2 defeats this year.

I have got very mixed feelings about this. I love them doing well in the National League but I'm not really sure we can compete in the next level up. I'd rather do well at this level than we get totally destroyed in the league.

Weren't you in the same position a two or three years ago? And it came to nought in the end. Presumably, as then, there is the question of the plastic pitch again?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th March 2021, 8:32 AM

Weren't you in the same position a two or three years ago? And it came to nought in the end. Presumably, as then, there is the question of the plastic pitch again?

We weren't in such a strong position then - but the plans are there to rip up the plastic. Will have to ground share for a while. Plough Lane maybe?

That of course all is if.........

Quote: Chappers @ 12th March 2021, 5:48 PM

I do like Women's foootball and watch it from time to time but I don't think that this is a good advert for their game.

Good grief Charlie Brown....

Quote: Chappers @ 12th March 2021, 5:48 PM

Good grief Charlie Brown....

I see that 10 man Bayern Munich thrash Stuttgart to go 4 points clear.

What exactly is the point of the Bundesliga?