The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 708

Let's talk about the top football story - Charlie Austin back at QPR for only 39 minutes before scoring!

Chelsea's longest serving player has left after 10 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55675775

My how times have changed...................found this photo in an archive of Bill Harrison of the 1923/24 Ipswich Town Football Club team doing his day job of a dustman. Bill is the bloke on the left. (excuse the moiré - it's the best I could get it)

Yes I remember him - he was predominantly a sweeper.

Thrrrrrrrrrrumppppp Tisshhhhhhhhhh I thangyow.

Now you take my wife, please, somebody......................

The invisible football team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55692314

Quote: Chappers @ 17th January 2021, 5:54 PM

The invisible football team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55692314

Oh yeah, completely invisible.

As a Chelsea supporter I'm apalled but not at all surprised that Frank Lampard has been sacked.

At the time I felt they'd given him the job too soon.

He did a great job last season with basically a team of kids. Then in the Summer they recruited a load of European "stars" who they didn't really need. He probably didn't want them all and it disrupted the team. Of the 6 players bought in the Summer - probably by the club rather than his choices - only maybe 3 of them were needed.

A friend who is a Chelsea supporter too and has watched most of this season's games says that they don't really work hard enough.

Good luck Frank. I hope he doesn't come back to bite us.

Cup Fever (1965)

A must for all footie fans as this is being shown on Sat. 6th Feb. at 9.40am (part of the first Saturday Morning Pictures) and stars Bernard Cribbins, David Lodge and Norman Rossington amongst others; BUT ALSO, playing themselves are :-

Matt Busby, Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, David Herd, Pat Dunne, Jack Crompton, George Best, John Connelly, Pat Crerand, Tony Dunne, Bill Foulkes, Shay Brennan and Bert Trautmann.

From the IMDb:-
"The children of Barton United are trying to win the cup in their local football league. Nasty councillor Mr Bates doesn't like them and wants the team his son plays for to win instead so he makes life as difficult as he can for them. However, Barton United are offered help by the local professional team that just happens to be Manchester United with its manager Matt Busby."

So Jan Bednarek's red card has been overturned on appeal. It was only given on the intervention of VAR. So what exactly is the purpose of VAR? I thought it was supposed to eliminate controversy - not cause it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th February 2021, 7:12 PM

So Jan Bednarek's red card has been overturned on appeal. It was only given on the intervention of VAR. So what exactly is the purpose of VAR? I thought it was supposed to eliminate controversy - not cause it.

So let's reverse a few of the goals in that game. Say 6 maybe.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th January 2021, 10:50 AM

Cup Fever (1965)

A must for all footie fans as this is being shown on Sat. 6th Feb. at 9.40am (part of the first Saturday Morning Pictures) and stars Bernard Cribbins, David Lodge and Norman Rossington amongst others; BUT ALSO, playing themselves are :-

Matt Busby, Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, David Herd, Pat Dunne, Jack Crompton, George Best, John Connelly, Pat Crerand, Tony Dunne, Bill Foulkes, Shay Brennan and Bert Trautmann.

From the IMDb:-
"The children of Barton United are trying to win the cup in their local football league. Nasty councillor Mr Bates doesn't like them and wants the team his son plays for to win instead so he makes life as difficult as he can for them. However, Barton United are offered help by the local professional team that just happens to be Manchester United with its manager Matt Busby."

I put this in my phone's calendar to remind me to watch this. It flashed up and I couldn't remember what it was or where it was on.

What's Bert doing with all those ManUer's ?

Quote: Chappers @ 6th February 2021, 6:14 PM

I put this in my phone's calendar to remind me to watch this. It flashed up and I couldn't remember what it was or where it was on.

You simply can't help some people Unimpressed

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th February 2021, 8:16 PM

What's Bert doing with all those ManUer's ?

Ahh, good point. Having watched it today - he doesn't feature with the kids training with the MU squad at the old Old Trafford, he has his own little non speaking part as presenter of the cup to the winners of the lads team, Barton United.

Loftus-Cheek, Maitland-Niles, Walker-Peters, Alexander-Arnold, Calvert-Lewin, Hudson-Odoi... To name but six.

Who remembers when Ian Storey-Moore was something of a novelty with his double-barrelled name?