The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 374

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 8 2012, 7:21 PM BST

That's because Man U weren't playing, the partisan mother fudgers.

Unimpressed

Well, well, what a game, I agree with what the commentator was saying about Russia coming unstuck against the big sides, Their front three seams a bit too reluctant to do any tracking back.

Stylee; I can't really comment on your team since I don't know what other players cost. Does seam a bit risky picking as many big players as you did, often it is the mediocre and young players that step up internationally. A gamble but it could go well.
I haven't even heard of the goalie or the left in the midfield three.

Russia always seem to do this. Run rampant against one team and then get slaughtered next game. Arshavin almost admitted the same thing in an interview that they are really unpredictable,

Well then Arshavin is the perfect man to captain them. They have Greece next don't they? If so I can see them getting into a good run until the first knockout round.

Tomorrow is going to be some day, I cannot wait.

Quote: Chappers @ June 8 2012, 10:26 PM BST

Russia always seem to do this. Run rampant against one team and then get slaughtered next game. Arshavin almost admitted the same thing in an interview that they are really unpredictable,

Yep I remember them doing it at several tournaments, winning 6-0 once to be beaten next game, them or the old CCCP. They are notoriously frustrating to support. They've always had talent in their teams but never the consistency. Maybe this time, I do like their cavalier style but they should have won by six at least tonight.

That was Arshavin near his old best again, if he can keep passing like that then they could go far here as I don't fancy Germany in that group, something tells me they're in for a shock or two, maybe Ronaldo will pull them apart tomorrow.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 8 2012, 9:57 PM BST

That goalie in the flying helmet really annoys me.

I think Cech was advised to continue wearing the headgear after that injury because he's a triplet, and they can be prone to more vulnerable skulls

I had to tell the guys I was in the pub with this evening to stop with the digs about Ribery's looks. Men are bitchy

Ribery is a suspected pedophile and is french, yet they made fun of his looks.

It is only because he is a footballer, I wouldn't define it so much as bitchy. Some football insults can be vile though, I still feel uneasy when other United fans call Tevez "kettleneck" .I have a friend who calls Ribery "Scarface" and refers to Tevez and Ribery as "burn victims"

I suppose "banter" is open to interpretation, but I think anything you wouldn't say alone, face-to-face with someone, isn't banter.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 8 2012, 11:12 PM BST

Yep I remember them doing it at several tournaments, winning 6-0 once to be beaten next game, them or the old CCCP.

Was that when Oleg Salenko scored five of the goals? World Cup 94.

Quote: Jamey @ June 9 2012, 1:18 AM BST

Ribery is a suspected pedophile and is french

:D

Quote: Jamey @ June 9 2012, 1:18 AM BST

It is only because he is a footballer, I wouldn't define it so much as bitchy. Some football insults can be vile though, I still feel uneasy when other United fans call Tevez "kettleneck" .I have a friend who calls Ribery "Scarface" and refers to Tevez and Ribery as "burn victims"

I suppose "banter" is open to interpretation, but I think anything you wouldn't say alone, face-to-face with someone, isn't banter.

I don't mind people being awful, but once you no longer have anything funny to add you're just being an unnecessary bitch. My male friends this evening were between 40 and 60, so I'm feeling forgiving as at the start of every new campaign one must re-acknowledge that they are older than the people who should be their idols, which does sometimes hurt a little.
I spent much of the Russia game wondering if there was too much pressure on Arshavin when he's clearly only twelve.

I saw Martin Keown earlier making much the same point
While swinging from a tyre.

See? that one was ok!

I just remembered
England were in a group with Sweden & France in 1992.
It didn't end well for England or France.

Quote: AJGO @ June 9 2012, 12:41 AM BST

I had to tell the guys I was in the pub with this evening to stop with the digs about Ribery's looks. Men are bitchy

Okay, I admit that when Lescott went off with a cut head against Belgium last Saturday, I was mimicking him going: 'My face, my beautiful face, look at this cut, I'm hideous! It better not leave a scar.'

Those flying Dutchmen just can't break through, can they?

Enjoying the tournament so far. The last couple of tournaments have been a bit dull, so hopefully this one will continue to impress.

Yep, very enjoyable so far, and Germany v Portugal should be a good'un!

Rubbish tournament so far, I think.

Quote: AJGO @ June 8 2012, 8:40 PM BST

Competition will be fierce for best bit of commentary after the shot of Russia supporter wearing traditional Ushanka hat was met with 'There's no need for the hat. It's quite mild'

Keown on Robben- 'Why can't he pull the trigger and shoot himself?' :D

Quote: AJGO @ June 9 2012, 1:37 AM BST

I don't mind people being awful, but once you no longer have anything funny to add you're just being an unnecessary bitch. My male friends this evening were between 40 and 60, so I'm feeling forgiving as at the start of every new campaign one must re-acknowledge that they are older than the people who should be their idols, which does sometimes hurt a little.
I spent much of the Russia game wondering if there was too much pressure on Arshavin when he's clearly only twelve.

You are right, certainly these forums, your post and the couple after it have shown me that so long as you can be creative and funny with your insults you can make fun of anything.

I actually did "lol" at the Arshavin comment. Have you seen Gotze though;