The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 363

Quote: Jamey @ May 16 2012, 6:18 PM BST

Five? Are you counting Milner?

I am. His best position is on the right flank but he's played (quite well) on the left wing for England.

I was counting him as one of four midfielders.

I still don't see the need for more striking cover, just better strikers.

For me the shame is, that this squad seems to highlight Englands current paucity of creative players, or ones with a bit of magic if you like.
I'm just pleased he included Oxlaide Chamberlain.
Apart from that the only forward players who can do something special are Wayne Rooney & Glen Johnson.

The french press reaction is interesting. They seem quite pleased that Crouch has been left out.

For me, Sinclair and Dyer are the glaring omissions..

Clive & Danny?
I'm with you on that.

Crouch does have an excellent scoring record for England
As does Michael Owen.
Mot much mention of him so far.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 17 2012, 1:20 AM BST

Clive & Danny?

Smarmy

Going through the names again, I can't see many making it to the next World Cup. Last chance saloon for most of 'em.

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2012, 4:54 PM BST

Shocked that Kenny has been axed. Surely anyone who can nurture Johnson, Downing, Carroll AND Henderson into Euro 2012 contention is a football miracle worker.

But that's not Kenny's doing, it's down to Hodgson's time at Liverpool. We just have to be thankful West Brom haven't got any half decent players!

With Carroll there I'd have taken Lennon, a decent crosser of the ball. Other than that the squad looks about right.

Quote: Jamey @ May 16 2012, 6:46 PM BST

it was probably mind games from Fergie and not his actual belief. Too bad it didn't work

yes - too bad! Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Jamey @ May 16 2012, 6:18 PM BST

Carrick has had a good season, there is no way he should be absent from even the back up list considering the team features both Henderson and Barry.

carrick apparently dropped himself.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 16 2012, 4:24 PM BST

I'm sure clubs will be lining up to hire a bad tempered racist who spends loads of money to win the Carling Cup.

Well at least they won a trophy! :)

Carrick dropping himself is the only good excuse.

I know nothing about football but I must confess to being hypnotised by Kenny Dalglish's leathery, characterful face. He's like a living Lucian Freud painting. What stories do all those lines tell?

We don't know
He never gives a straight answer.

Quote: Chappers @ May 17 2012, 9:53 AM BST

Well at least they won a trophy! :)

:D

And it only cost them their entire budget, their future finances and their manager - bonus!

As for Hodgson's team selection, I don't know why people are having a spaz over it, it's not like England are going to win Euro 2012. Even if he rang you personally and asked what players to take, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the outcome. Even if he brought your favourite player (insert name of average footballer here) from your favourite club (insert name of average team here), we still wouldn't win it.

Everyone knows that English footballers only have a limited amount of memory - give them a few weeks off and they forget how to play entirely - that's why pre-season matches are so rubbish. I mean, duh.

My issues with the squad are lack of cover up front and at right back (don't tell me Jones can play there) and the inexplicable selection of Downing (and Hendo on stand-by). It's overloaded with midfield cover.

My main issue with the squad is that considering how England play it feels incredibly stupid to not focus on strikers anyway but with Rooney out for first two matches it's frankly astonishing.
In the group stages, these are high pressure matches in quick succession where we only have a few chances to win. Where unlike in the league there's not the opportunity to experiment or to grow and accumulate points over a long period of time. We need goals.
The midfielders have their own jobs to do, and the team don't have the time to get to learn/remind themselves how they can all gel together to perfect a style of play where trusting what the other players are doing and depending on everyone being fluid about their positions will be effective.
People criticise Arsenal for trying to play beautiful football, and it looks like this is going to have the same excruciating sense of 'Who did you think was there? Oh look, the opposition have the ball' but without any of the attempts at beauty.

I don't know why everyone is panicking.

England have a God given right to win everything they enter.